Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CLI

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

PenFed CLI

When you click on the button to a CLI with PenFed, is their any info you need to summit like BOA basically what the form looks like.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Exonumist
Established Contributor

Re: PenFed CLI

@corymcd88 wrote:

When you click on the button to a CLI with PenFed, is their any info you need to summit like BOA basically what the form looks like.

It's like a whole new credit app that you have to fill out. There is a hard pull and they will not give an increase until the account is at least 12 months old.

Message 2 of 8
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Not sure if the 12 month rule is always applicable...

I opened my penfed Amex in Feb 2014 with 5k limit, used it a lot and PIF, asked for increase in May and got increase to 20k, just my experience.....

Message 3 of 8
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@Andy77 wrote:

Not sure if the 12 month rule is always applicable...

I opened my penfed Amex in Feb 2014 with 5k limit, used it a lot and PIF, asked for increase in May and got increase to 20k, just my experience.....

As far as I know that is somewhat rare. I've even had multiple reps tell me not to bother until the account is a year old.

Message 4 of 8
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Exonumist wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

It's like a whole new credit app that you have to fill out. There is a hard pull and they will not give an increase until the account is at least 12 months old.

I know this is going to sound nuts, but I'm always scared that I'm going to click on it and have a credit pull when it was a mistake. PenFed reps said that it is ok to do cash advance on the card, I was always told you should never do it because banks don't like to see you doing an advance on a credit card, is that true? Get a PLOC for that.

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Exonumist wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

I know this is going to sound nuts, but I'm always scared that I'm going to click on it and have a credit pull when it was a mistake. PenFed reps said that it is ok to do cash advance on the card, I was always told you should never do it because banks don't like to see you doing an advance on a credit card, is that true? Get a PLOC for that.

Occasional cash advances will be fine from the viewpoint of the issuer.  Providing you pay it down fairly quickly, there wont be concern that you are in financial distress.   The downside is that the interest rate can be high and starts accruing from the date you take the advance.

Despite what you read here, credit card companies do not set traps, and create options that cause closure or AA if you use them.   Cash Advance, running a balance etc are all fine, unless eventually not enough is being paid off and the issuer decides that you a credit risk.   But sometimes, for a short while, it's fine (again from their viewpoint! Cost wise, might be a bad idea for you!)

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Exonumist wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

It's like a whole new credit app that you have to fill out. There is a hard pull and they will not give an increase une ftil the account is at least 12 months old.

The second part is eminently not true: I got a cli of 20% by pushing the LUV button the day after I got approved for my PenFed cc. 

The first part is usually true, with the exception that if you request within 30 days of applying they will use the same hp that they used for the application itself. That is what I did. 

Message 7 of 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Exonumist wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

It's like a whole new credit app that you have to fill out. There is a hard pull and they will not give an increase une ftil the account is at least 12 months old.

The second part is eminently not true: I got a cli of 20% by pushing the LUV button the day after I got approved for my PenFed cc. 

The first part is usually true, with the exception that if you request within 30 days of applying they will use the same hp that they used for the application itself. That is what I did. 

The 30 day rule for Penfed is really YMMV.

Last week I applied for a Checking acct, Thrifty and Cash Rewards card.  All 3 were approved from what I can gather was my last application in May (within 90 days).  So I don't know if there's some disclaimer to it all or what, but I was definitely expecting another HP and pleasantly surprised when there wasn't.

I heard people have good results when they wait out for their quarterly pre-approvals.  That's what I plan to do since they gave me low limits.  They also report fast - like 4 days to Experian!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.