@Anonymous wrote:

If you are looking for Travel card
Look at AAA rewards card from Bank of America
It gives you 3% on everything related to travel
but comes with Foreign Transaction fee of 2%

Message 12 of 15
pannna

Re: PenFed Credit Card

yeah, it does come with all kinds of travel insurances.

@Anonymous wrote:

@pannna wrote:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/11/maximizing-the-penfed-cards-5-cashback-on-gas-and-free-flights/

here it says that 1 point is 1.5 cents when used towards airlines.

In comments people have said that now it has reduced to 1.2 cent, which still is 6%.

Its definately good for Airfare
but not for anything else
You should also look at if this card comes with
Travel Insurance and Trip Cancelation insurance and rental car insurance of you think you need it

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pannna wrote:

looks decent,
thanks

It also gives you 2% Gas Grocery and Drug Store no Cap
I tried to Product Change my BoA for this card but not allowed

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this card. Like others said above, it is not really 5%, more like 4.2% back. That is still pretty good. 

Some things to consider: 

- the 5 points is only earned on purchases directly from airlines. It is not earned on purchases made on expedia, kayak, orbitz etc and thus you cannot go through a cashback portal. This is important. For example shop through chase was offering an additional 1 point on expedia purchases when I checked yesterday. If you have a csp card, that is 3 points per dollar, and you can stack that with expedia rewards. 3 csp points is worth significantly more than 4.2% for me, although you may think otherwise. One airline for which it might make sense to use this card is southwest, for which you cannot go through a portal. However when I need to fly southwest I usually just buy some some SW gift cards on staples.com using my Ink Plus to net 5 UR points per dollar. 

- you would be getting this really only to buy plane tickets. On everything else the rewards are less than 1%. It is up to you whether you want to take a HP for this. Think about it this way. A top of the line card might come with a $500 sign up bonus. With the PenFed you get ~$170. To make up for the other ~320 you would need to spend ~$7500. Now for me this is no problem since I frequently buy tickets in the thousands. Will probably put that much on it before I have had it for a year. But for you it may not be the same. 

- It has no FOREX fee but it's an Amex so not very useful abroad due to the quite limited rate of acceptance. 

- PenFed is very hard to get in with according to some. For me it was pretty easy. I applied when I had only one inquiry on EQ and got approved for a $5000 limit. Immediately put in for a cli (needed to buy a ticket that was slightly over that) and they bumped it up to $6000. Joining PenFed, applying for the card and the cli were all one HP. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.