Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Fraudulent Activity

tag
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

PenFed Fraudulent Activity

Feeling lucky I went into my PenFed account to do an obsessive double check my payment due coming up is all set.  Four charges pending w/location listed across the country since Friday.  Hotel and food about $600 combined, someone had a good weekend! I'm particularly surprised because I've had the card less than six months and not much use but I guess that doesnt make a difference.  I asked if they'd had any kind of data breach which the security rep couldnt really answer.  I wish I could analyze the legitimate transactions I did make on the card but it's shut down and totally wiped off my online account already.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed Fraudulent Activity

This recently happened on my PenFed debit card in tune of 3k+ in charges across country in matter of hours late night/early morning.  Called them up when saw a day or two later got transferred to fraud shut down card re-issued investigrated and found not at fault although they also all fell off before posting.

Message 2 of 9
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

This recently happened on my PenFed debit card in tune of 3k+ in charges across country in matter of hours late night/early morning.  Called them up when saw a day or two later got transferred to fraud shut down card re-issued investigrated and found not at fault although they also all fell off before posting.

Yikes thats a lot of charges.  Thank goodness they didn't hold you accountable for any of it.  I cant even imagine what a nightmare that would be 😧

Message 3 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I had almost the same thing happen on my PenFed Platinum Rewards card (a couple of months back). Found out when I logged in.

Called , they handled it very fast. New card replaced.

Message 4 of 9
brk1971
Frequent Contributor

This happens with every card issuer, it's not "PenFed Fraudulent Activity" it's "Fraudulent Activity" - fraud happens even on cards that have never been used.

The number doesn't have to have been disclosed during a data breach - there are dozens of ways that criminals get charging info - from directly with the financial institution, to man in the middle attacks to skimming and many others. 

You should check your accounts as often as you feel comfortable for charges - legitimate and not. I personally do this every day on every account, sock drawered or not.

Fico8 = EQ 779, TU 802, EX 771 (6/22/2022), util = 6.5% ish
INQ in 12 mo: EQ 4, TU 4, EX 7
Cards: NFCU: Flagship VS $45k, Plat $24.3k, Plat $10.7k | Amex: Delta Reserve $50k | Citi: DC WE MC $28.8k | Discover: It $22.5k | Barclays: Juniper $15.25k | USAA: PCR VS $15k, RA $5k | UMB: SR VS $15k | PenFed: Path VS $20k, Plat Rew VS $15k | Synchrony: Lowes’s store $25k | Truist: Bright $10.5k, Bright $6.5k | Cap1: Venture1 Plat MC $10.3k, Kohls store $3k | Comenity: MyCash MC $17.5k | Wells Fargo: AC $10.3k | TD Bank: Target MC $6k (Reports as retail card despite now being MC) | BoA: CCR VS $30k | Affinity FCU: Premium VS $25k
Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you are leaving card numbers on websites for quick payment, dont anymore and a lot of fraud typically goes away.

Message 6 of 9
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

The same tyhing has happened with me TWICE on my PenFed card in the last 6-8 months,  the first time, though the rep wouldn't speak of particulars....... they said that they were swamped with calls on the same issue, so I assume they were breached.  The second time, transactions appeared which I knew were fraudulent and called right away.... though I have no way of knowing if it happened twice on their side.

The one thing which irked me as I always pay in full before the card cuts, usually practicing AZEO,  I have a small credit line with them, and don't want a hard hit to increase it,  and the fraudulent transaction appeared a day or two before the end of the billing cycle.... putting my reporting balance, at a high percentage ( even though they were fraudulent charges ).....  causing a drop in credit score.... though it did get corrected in the next billing cycle.    I guess there's not much one can do.... but try to keep cards safe from our side.

Message 7 of 9
PandaGirl77
Regular Contributor

@FishingGuy wrote:

The same thing has happened with me TWICE on my PenFed card in the last 6-8 months,  the first time, though the rep wouldn't speak of particulars....... they said that they were swamped with calls on the same issue, so I assume they were breached.  The second time, transactions appeared which I knew were fraudulent and called right away.... though I have no way of knowing if it happened twice on their side.

The one thing which irked me as I always pay in full before the card cuts, usually practicing AZEO,  I have a small credit line with them, and don't want a hard hit to increase it,  and the fraudulent transaction appeared a day or two before the end of the billing cycle.... putting my reporting balance, at a high percentage ( even though they were fraudulent charges ).....  causing a drop in credit score.... though it did get corrected in the next billing cycle.    I guess there's not much one can do.... but try to keep cards safe from our side.

@FishingGuy  I think so (breach), its so new a card.  Despite opposing opinions that it's not "PenFed" fradulent activity, I have to say it decreases my confidence.  This happened to me only once with a BonTon store credit card.  Likely due to it being left on as form of payment.  I have several cards that are stored that way (I'm slowly removing and decreasing that practice) and have never been compromised on them.  But anyway, yes important to routinely check activity more than the once a month when payment is due.

Message 8 of 9
Libra85
Regular Contributor

PenFed PCR Fraud Already!!!

I haven't even had my PenFed Power Cash Rewards card 30 days and already have fraud.This is just ridiculous. I've read on here were others have experienced fraud on their accounts. I'm glad i'm a stalker and check all my accounts multiple times a day. I was up this morning, checking to see if my payment had posted. I just received my first statement 10/4 and the charges are pending as of 10/5 for $677.92. I've made one online purchase with this account, which was some airline tickets. All other charges have been local restaurants.The other weird thing, I can see the charges pending on my mobile app but not the desktop verison. I called CS and we were able to flag the charges and get a new card expedited.C84B0B79-E24B-404E-B704-FC345DF68796.jpeg

October 2021
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.