Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Magic Trick...Promise Card went Poof

tag
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

PenFed Magic Trick...Promise Card went Poof

While doing a routine check-in on my accounts, wanted take a closer look at the Promise card but noticed it's gone from the Penfed lineup. Incog browser check also only shows PC, Plat, and Gold as well. Was considering this as a short-term BT option to avoid a transfer fee, vs. an offer to BT to my Power Cash with 0% for 12, but with 3% fee.

Anyone else seeing this card gone? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: PenFed Magic Trick...Promise Card went Poof

The PenFed Promise was discontinued around the same time as the PenFed Defender.

Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The PenFed Promise was discontinued around the same time as the PenFed Defender.

No wonder i always get deniedSmiley Wink Should have kept my $1500 Promise card. Now i cant even get  maybeSmiley Sad

Message 3 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Was there a major difference between the Promise and the Gold? I thought they were pretty similar, kind of like Citi and the Simplicity/Diamond Preferred.

Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Was there a major difference between the Promise and the Gold? I thought they were pretty similar, kind of like Citi and the Simplicity/Diamond Preferred.

Similar but different in a few key areas.  Promise and Defender both had (still have for those who still have the cards) no balance transfer fee.  Defender has no cash advance fee either, which I believe was also the case for Promise.

Edit: Gold doesn't have a cash advance fee, either.  Now that I think about it, Promise may have had a CA APR same as purchase APR while it's 17.99% on Gold.  Again, very similar cards in most regards.

Message 5 of 8
Namaste7
Established Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

While doing a routine check-in on my accounts, wanted take a closer look at the Promise card but noticed it's gone from the Penfed lineup. Incog browser check also only shows PC, Plat, and Gold as well. Was considering this as a short-term BT option to avoid a transfer fee, vs. an offer to BT to my Power Cash with 0% for 12, but with 3% fee.

Anyone else seeing this card gone? 

Yes--I observed that the card was no longer listed as PF's main site (i.e., not logged into your personal account) earlier this month. When you log into your account, you may be able to see it listed in the Product and Rates section.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Promise and Gold were identical except Gold has 3% BT fee....

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its been gone a few weeks, along with their travel card. Someone posted on another thread that they spoke to PenFed and that PenFed stated it is only temporarily gone. 

I wish they would let me PC mine to the Gold card for the lower rate (without closing Promise and opening a new Gold on my bureaus). Promise is not very useful to me. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.