Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Membership?

tag
Rackham94
Established Contributor

PenFed Membership?

I have no family in the military that I know of except maybe my cousin however he is in the Airforce do not know how to prove it lol...

Anywho,

There is a last option that says "need another way to join"

Help me join another way

National Military Family Association
Voices for America's Troops

anyone know if you just donate and you are in? also once a member do you need to apply for a CC or Loan to stay active?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed Membership?

@Rackham94 wrote:

I have no family in the military that I know of except maybe my cousin however he is in the Airforce do not know how to prove it lol...

Anywho,

There is a last option that says "need another way to join"

Help me join another way

National Military Family Association
Voices for America's Troops

anyone know if you just donate and you are in? also once a member do you need to apply for a CC or Loan to stay active?

You need to choose one of them to join. Penfed will collect the membership for them. You don't need to apply for any credit card to stay active.

Ron.

Message 2 of 22
Rackham94
Established Contributor

FORGOT TO READ FINE PRINT.

Sorry for caps... is it HP to Join PenFed???

Message 3 of 22
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

You can choose either one to join and there is a small fee to do that ($15-20).  There is a minimum amount that you have to deposit into an account with them but you do not have to apply for a credit card.  Personally, I have $50/week transferred from my BofA checking account into my PenFed account.  Sometime in 2014, I want to apply for a credit card with them and am hoping that building up my account with them will help.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 4 of 22
blk8
Regular Contributor

Yes, it is a HP to join .... I plan on joining as well but am waiting until I need one of their products. They will use the same HP when you join towards your credit application .... i believe its good for 45 days.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 5 of 22
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

It's a HP but they are supposed to use the same HP for the next 30 days I believe for other applications. If accepted to join, I believe you need $5 to open an account with them and that is what keeps you "active". Someone else can confirm this as I'm stuck in the garden and can't join them yet.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 6 of 22
Rackham94
Established Contributor

nooo...

I was 30 days in garden... I guess this just ruined it... 

Message 7 of 22
ElCamino
Contributor

It can be worth stepping out of the garden temporarily for... Smiley Wink

Did you try apping for the card yet?

You can also app for a personal line of credit or some of their other loan services. I've heard great things about the car loans in particular.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 8 of 22
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Hmm how soon can I start app for cc instant? So your saying I can app for 3-4 cc or auto loan and it will count on that one 1hp I used to join
Message 9 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Have you already joined? PenFed is conservative ESP on their cc products.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.