Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Score Requirements?

tag
armymom
Regular Contributor

Re: PenFed Score Requirements?

The lower your util the better.  I would get it under 10% if possible. 

Filed BK 07/07/15 Discharged 10/07/15
Starting scores 11/2015 EQ 567 TU 487 EX 531
Current scores 02/2017 EQ 649, TU 642, EX 651

Cap 1 QS 5000 Cap 1 QS 6500, PenFed Promise 2500, NFCU GoRewards 8000 NFCU CLOC 4000
In the garden until 2018
Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

With PenFed score alone is never the issue.

They look really hard at number of INQs, number of new accounts (new = under 3 years old) and AAoA.  I am not sure at what age negatives don't look so bad to them, though.

Message 12 of 28
silveroak
Valued Member

No idea what requirements are. Here's my recent experience with Penfed:

1. Joined Military Family Assoc to get membership with Penfed in February 2010 and got member number a few days later

2. 3/31/10: Deposited $10.00 into a Share Savings account to join the CU

3. 3/31/10: Applied for the Cashback Platnium VISA over the phone

4. 3/31/10 Instantly Approved for $16,500 VISA Cashback Platnium (no docs required, 773 Equifax score, AAofA is 6 years, 20ish% utilization, no baddies , 16 year credit history, highest active credit line prior to that was $3500 with Cap One, income between 80-100k) I did not ask for a specific amount and accepted what was offered

5. 4/1/10-logged onto website to find a 35k car loan approved at 3.9%

6. 4/10/10 called and spoke to CSR and accepted car loan which locked in rate and approved amount "up to 35k" for 90 days

7. Just need to find a car!

Thanks!

Starting Score: 632
Current Score: 801
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

Well I got my signature card in the mail today.  I called to setup a pin number and the lady asked me if I heard about their great credit cards.  I said I did and she let me apply right then.  She took all my information, said I was "tenatively approved" and I just needed to fax in my last two paystubs and my W2.  Not a problem since I didn't lie about it (especially since you guys told me they request docs a lot).

So maybe I do have a shot.  Not getting my hopes up too high yet though.

Message 14 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

Anyone know if you check the status of the credit card app online if you applied over the phone?

Message 15 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

Never mind found it.....just made my night.  Guess they do still accept people with a under 700 score.  From what I read on the forums here Transferred means approved and sent over to make the card!  When I Apped they didn't ask me for a CL amount so I am happy with what I got.  Smiley Happy

For years I have been scared of PenFed.  Never thinking I would get approved by them.  Thanks to you all I have approved my score by 200 points over the last couple of years!

ActionStatus ProductAmountDate
Received
 TRANSFERRED 04/16/2010 VISA Platinum Cash Rewards$17,500.00

04/16/2010

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nicemann wrote:

Never mind found it.....just made my night.  Guess they do still accept people with a under 700 score.  From what I read on the forums here Transferred means approved and sent over to make the card!  When I Apped they didn't ask me for a CL amount so I am happy with what I got.  Smiley Happy

For years I have been scared of PenFed.  Never thinking I would get approved by them.  Thanks to you all I have approved my score by 200 points over the last couple of years!

ActionStatus ProductAmountDate
Received
 TRANSFERRED 04/16/2010 VISA Platinum Cash Rewards$17,500.00

04/16/2010

Congratulations!

I know they look at INQs and account ages.  Care to share your profile?

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@nicemann wrote:

Well I've been looking at PenFed for 3 years now.  Always been too afraid to try.  Just signed up for the savings account (had to do the NMFA $20 sign up) with $100 deposit.  Guess I can't apply for a Credit Card till I get the welcome packet and send it back signed.  Kind of sucks, I thought it would let me apply right after I signed up.

Guess I got a week or so to keep wondering if I will be able to make it or not.  My EQ Fico is only about 690 but I don't have any INQs except a car loan back in June (already paid off).  Only negative is a Paid medical collection from 6 1/2 years ago.  Other then that nothing else negative.  I don't carry balances on any of my credit cards, only thing with a balance is my mortgage.

Guess we shall see.

with low utl and a 6.5 year old medical collection as the only neg score would generally be higher than 690

there's no indication that a 690 would be sufficient for pen fed loan products with any combo of inq and new accts., etc.

Actually, that's not true. A 6.5yr old medical collection will certainly keep the score below 700. I had perfect payment history, 1% util (just for scoring purposes) and my scores were stuck around 680. As soon as it dropped I shot up to around 740!  That's for sure what its keeping the OP down. I'd wait until it dropped off. You'll see a nice return when it's gone!

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I didn't read the whole thread. Congrats Nicemann!

Message 19 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!

I know they look at INQs and account ages.  Care to share your profile?

Only had one INQ when they pulled my EQ.  Fico Score 694, Oldest account 5 years 10 months, AAoA 2 years, last open account ws a car loan back in July 2009 (already paid off).

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.