Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed, opened acct, meh

tag
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

PenFed, opened acct, meh

Opened an account at PenFed this evening. Took a HP from EQ for the pleasure of it. No offers. Went to apply for card and they wanted to do another HP? What is up with that?

So now I have a crappy savings account with 0.05% APR. In order to get the 2.0% APR savings they want another application, assuming with another HP.

Should have listened to AJC!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: PenFed, opened acct, meh

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Opened an account at PenFed this evening. Took a HP from EQ for the pleasure of it. No offers. Went to apply for card and they wanted to do another HP? What is up with that?

So now I have a crappy savings account with 0.05% APR. In order to get the 2.0% APR savings they want another application, assuming with another HP.

Sorry to Hear That OP, Momma always said; "AJC knows Best"

Seems like Some Credit Unions are HP HappySmiley Frustrated

I got hit with a HP about 5 Months ago, for a checking and savings with Alliance (Now Excite CU)

I asked what the heck, they said "Oh, We had to pull your file to verify you"

I told the branch manager, not a nice way to impress a new customer. And walked out.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

CUs really do love their HPs.

I have 5 from NFCU right now and my SSFCU card actually requires an HP to review for CLI or for APR reduction so it will be stuck at $5K at 18% for the foreseeable future.

What I won’t do is take an HP to get membership unless it’s going to be used for credit too so PenFed will never end up on my list of CUs.
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Seems as though using the same HP for 30/60 days is now over at Penfed. When I first started my rebuild a little over year ago it seemed as though Penfed was where it’s at and now they aren’t talked about as much. My very first rebuild card was $10K Credit Card from them and haven’t been able to get more since then.

Message 4 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry Mike. That stinks for sure. Funny thing is i have 2 locsl branches i could visit snd i see billboards for them while i drive. Its crazy but glad i let them go. I wasnt asking for the world but just show a member some love, especially if ones credit is good. Id like to show Penfed my OBLONGATASmiley Wink
Message 5 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats on joining PenFed.  

As a step on your rebuild, this gets you on the radar of a quality lender. Building a relationship with PenFed will take time, but the rates on their products can be quite good. 

I opened a PenFed account in 2014, while I still had sizable balances.  The CC app I thought I made was not anything, so a month later append a CC on a new HP, and got a denial. Talked with them and used the HP to open a $500 secured card.  Used the secured card lightly for 14 months, then applied for a Promise card, approved mid-teens limit.  Card balances overall were coming down a lot. Used that Promise card for some BT at the 5% rate offers. Took another HP 18 months ago, and they boosted it to $34k limit.  

The HP always fades by a year, but building the relationship with a good bank lasts as long as you show good credit habits.  All my PenFed HP are gone now. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikesonthemend wrote:

That's quite an assumption.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice thing is Penfed pulls Equifax which no one else seems to pull for me.
Message 8 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Congrats on joining PenFed.  

As a step on your rebuild, this gets you on the radar of a quality lender. Building a relationship with PenFed will take time, but the rates on their products can be quite good. 

I opened a PenFed account in 2014, while I still had sizable balances.  The CC app I thought I made was not anything, so a month later append a CC on a new HP, and got a denial. Talked with them and used the HP to open a $500 secured card.  Used the secured card lightly for 14 months, then applied for a Promise card, approved mid-teens limit.  Card balances overall were coming down a lot. Used that Promise card for some BT at the 5% rate offers. Took another HP 18 months ago, and they boosted it to $34k limit.  

The HP always fades by a year, but building the relationship with a good bank lasts as long as you show good credit habits.  All my PenFed HP are gone now. 

Lol, sorry Nerbie, showing good credit hsbits means nothing to Penfed in my humble opinion.  We are all case by case numbers to them and i understand they prefer to pick whom they wsnt to do better business with but when one does do the proper thing like pay on time, manage all accounts in a timely manner snd  pay their own credit products on time and ggod fashion, it still finds ways to shun you. I wish Penfed worked like that but unfortunately, they have different standards for each member. My humble opinion of courseSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 25
Gollum
Established Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

I try to avoid hard pulls too (even though I've read that they only have a small effect on FICO scores), so "ah feel yore paynnn" (Bill Clinton - 1992). At some time in the future, though, it might be useful to you to already have an account at PenFed.

A personal example:

I joined NFCU (because I was thinking about getting a credit card from NFCU) and doing so required a hard pull. Then I decided to get a credit card from BECU (a credit union) instead. I had joined BECU quite a few years ago because I was thinking maybe I should do a home mortgage refi. I don't remember whether or not joining BECU required a hard pull, probably because I didn't pay much attention to such things at the time. I didn't refi my home mortgage, but quite a few years later, my BECU membership proved to be useful to me after all, because I already had the membership so I just applied for the credit card.

Edit: I forgot to add that I recently got a credit card from NFCU after all, so twice I've gotten a credit card from a credit union quite a while after I joined. Smiley Wink

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.