cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed still not reporting. normal ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed still not reporting. normal ?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
PenFed is a little screwy if you try to PIF before the statement date, etc. My statement drops on the 2nd of the month, but this month I didn't see a new statement online until the 6th or 7th, and it wasn't on my reports until then. But once it did show up, the displayed date was the 2nd. I wound up having a balance report due to the confusion.

They also seem to have delays in when a charge actually posts to your online account, and they don't seem to show "pendings." So for those who like to have $0 reporting on their cards, you'll definitely need to stay on your toes with PenFed, stopping using it at least 5 days before the statement date and tracking to see if they post. Or more simply, let PenFed be that one card that does report for you.

I do hope that they unclutter their website pretty soon. It's a bit eccentric at the moment. But it's worth it! Smiley Very Happy

Not reporting a balance is counterproductive, IMHO.
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

PenFed is a little screwy if you try to PIF before the statement date, etc. My statement drops on the 2nd of the month, but this month I didn't see a new statement online until the 6th or 7th, and it wasn't on my reports until then. But once it did show up, the displayed date was the 2nd. I wound up having a balance report due to the confusion.

They also seem to have delays in when a charge actually posts to your online account, and they don't seem to show "pendings." So for those who like to have $0 reporting on their cards, you'll definitely need to stay on your toes with PenFed, stopping using it at least 5 days before the statement date and tracking to see if they post. Or more simply, let PenFed be that one card that does report for you.

I do hope that they unclutter their website pretty soon. It's a bit eccentric at the moment. But it's worth it! Smiley Very Happy

How so?

Message 12 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

See what happens if you report balances on all your credit cards at the same time.
Message 13 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure why.

Many people think that a balance has to report to show activity, but that's not so.

One example from personal experience: a card hadn't been used in 3-4 months, and then I used it. I got a one-time score ding (and Scorewatch alert) for using a "dormant" card. But when a balance posted on a different card that had been used without balances posting for many months before, no ding or alert.

Another happened-to-me: I have a credit card that hasn't posted a balance in a year. I used it to pay for new flooring, and at one point, the balance got really high. I paid it off before it posted, and it still reported a $0 balance. But the "highest balance" field on my reports now showed that intercycle balance.

So CCC's are able to report whether a card has been used during the billing cycle, even when $0 posts. It looks to me like they report the total amounts charged during that billing cycle, but we only see it if it's a new highest balance for us.

Even the full reports that we can get directly from the 3 CRA's don't show everything that gets reported.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 15
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I can attest to that as well Hauling. I hadn't used my Walmart card for some time and when I used it I got a EQ CWG alert. I paid in full before the statement cut but the last activity shown was the current month. So they do see activity even if you don't let a balance report when they cut the statement.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.