Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

Anybody have any insight on this article from NW.com?  Apparently it is to be heard this year.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

Message 2 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't read through the whole thing but:

"As it stands now, if AmEx does spice up its rewards, it may very well win out in the restaurant business, where 35% of the total dollar volume is charged through the AmEx network."

That's not only surprising but a staggering metric, I had always assumed that Visa/MC would still be ahead by a large margin... maybe that's why they absurdly approved my BCP, my Zync spending may well be utterly inline with their typical demographic... and perhaps one other reason they cancelled the Zync as I don't know any of the rest of their lineup where 2:1 points are garned for restaurants, especially when used as a reward accelerator linked to a higher tier charge card.

That's probably incidently why I rarely find a place which doesn't accept Amex out here, I mostly spend in restaurants Cat Tongue

        
Message 3 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

"As it stands now, if AmEx does spice up its rewards, it may very well win out in the restaurant business, where 35% of the total dollar volume is charged through the AmEx network."

That's not only surprising but a staggering metric, I had always assumed that Visa/MC would still be ahead by a large margin... maybe that's why they absurdly approved my BCP, my Zync spending may well be utterly inline with their typical demographic... and perhaps one other reason they cancelled the Zync as I don't know any of the rest of their lineup where 2:1 points are garned for restaurants, especially when used as a reward accelerator linked to a higher tier charge card.

That's probably incidently why I rarely find a place which doesn't accept Amex out here, I mostly spend in restaurants Cat Tongue

I highly doubt that had anything to do with them canceling Zync.  If Chase can figure out how to offer 2x UR on dining with CSP, and Citi can offer 5x TY on Forward, I doubt 2x MR on dining was hurting Amex.  I suspect that notwithstanding its popularity on this forum, Zync just wasn't that popular of a card offering. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 20
jake619
Frequent Contributor

The BlueBird aspect is what I didn't consider.  I don't know how to word this respectfully, but the BB component brings AMEX-branded banking and plastic to traditionally non-AMEX clientele.  I think the BB end-game is to create more pressure for merchants to reconsider accepting AMEX, thus making it more universally accepted.

Message 5 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I highly doubt that had anything to do with them canceling Zync.  If Chase can figure out how to offer 2x UR on dining with CSP, and Citi can offer 5x TY on Forward, I doubt 2x MR on dining was hurting Amex.  I suspect that notwithstanding its popularity on this forum, Zync just wasn't that popular of a card offering. 

Perhaps, but note that 2x on restaurants is a default Chase factor, Citi reward structures I'm not familiar with though admittedly the Forward is pretty sweet (and note being changed); however, look at it from the other angle - 35% of aggregate restaurant spend is through the Amex network.

That's a staggering amount of money, and paying that out at 2:1 vs. 1:1 everywhere else isn't nearly as profitable as they could be for people that had the Zync linked.  Further, and this is a curiosity question, is there any Amex network transaction card from any other vendor which gives rewards on restaurant spend?  All the others I'm passingly familiar with are either Visa or MC backed.

I likely agree there were other reasons, but I incredibly doubt that the Zync was cancelled for one reason alone; popularity was low because it was a marketing experiment that was never pushed in the mainstream media, that's not the card's fault and is easily corrected if they so chose.  Legal action + profitability would be the two ones I'd bet on, and I suspect the restaurant pack was highly popular on the Zync out of the paid ones.

        
Message 6 of 20
westcoastpirate
Contributor

Amex Costco TE gets 2% back on restaurants.
Message 7 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@westcoastpirate wrote:

Oh hrm, looks like 3% even, ok nevermind my stupidity earlier please Smiley Happy  I completely miss that card every time I think about Amex.

Sorry dudes, mea culpa.

        
Message 8 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

This reminds me of a dinner I had with 3 friends. 2 of us paid with an amex; the other two paid with debit card. I had zync; the other guy had either gold or BCE
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 20
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@westcoastpirate wrote:

Oh hrm, looks like 3% even, ok nevermind my stupidity earlier please Smiley Happy  I completely miss that card every time I think about Amex.

Sorry dudes, mea culpa.

Fidelity Amex 2% on everything. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.