Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed 5x on Gas vs 5% Cash back

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed 5x on Gas vs 5% Cash back

I read somewhere that Penfed 5x on Gas is as good as 5% cash back. Is this true? I'm not very familiar with the Penfed points value. Is it exactly 5%? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Penfed 5x on Gas vs 5% Cash back

A point is worth less than a penny, so 5x points equals just over 4% in cash back.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've seen with my Pathfinder Rewards, cash redemption is like .8 cents per point or thereabouts, and travel through their travel portal is I believe 1.25 cents per point, so it depends on how you value it.

Personally, as someone with solid travel card setups and solid cash back cards, I'd sooner take the ducks unlimited card over the penfed gas card - but at that, I already get 3% back on gas all the time and 6% in q1 and q3 so personally no gas cards are really appealing to me.
Message 3 of 10
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

If memory serves me right...PenFed points are worth .085.  So their 5x points on fuel comes out to be 4.25% which isn't horrible but there are some straight 5% cash back cards out there for fuel.  

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which ones have 5% cash back on gas aside from the rotating ones like discover and freedom?
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which ones gives 6% on gas for two quarters?
Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Which ones have 5% cash back on gas aside from the rotating ones like discover and freedom?

The Ducks Unlimited card already mentioned.  I believe Fort Knox still does.   Amex Blue Cash also does but that is not available for new apps.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the Ducks Unlimited.  My first statement cuts this week, so I will see which convenience stores registered correctly for 5%.

Mallard2_DU_Visa_II

Message 8 of 10
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex is 5%.  Which is really nice since gas prices have gone up about 80 cents where I live.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ducks Unlimited and Ft Knox Gold Visa are the two main 5% cards - both have no caps. The sams club card, and the usaa card offer 5% on gas but it's capped.

The one that gives 6% every other quarter is the Nusenda CU Platinum Cash Rewards. It's a arotating category card like the freedom, but the calendar is the same every year, so q1 is always the same etc. It's advertised as a 5% card, but I can confirm that I got $48 back for spending $800 (no tax) which is 6%. Q1 and Q3 have gas every year and there are other useful categories too.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.