Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Account Holds

tag
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

Re: Penfed Account Holds

@CCrew 

Wow that's INSANE!  Totally unreasonable.  You are already an established member, having had an auto loan as far back as 5 years ago.  I also have NEVER, to this day, seen a FI putting holds on INTERNAL transfers between "regular" accounts.

Well... I don't think I would be as generous as you.  All they are gonna get me from me is $10, just to make sure that the savings account has a positive "available" balance, since they take the first $5 unavailable for use.

My initial funds transfer to open the account also seem to be taking this 5-day hold rule.  This, I expected, as it is clearly stated in their "Agreement."  But, your case?  Pfft.  No way in hell I'd put as much effort as you, to persue a relationship with an FI so FIXATED on putting holds on everything.

Thank you for your datapoint.  You saved me a lot of future hassle, time, and money.

Message 31 of 33
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Absolution16 wrote:

@CCrew 

Wow that's INSANE!  Totally unreasonable.  You are already an established member, having had an auto loan as far back as 5 years ago.  I also have NEVER, to this day, seen a FI putting holds on INTERNAL transfers between "regular" accounts.

Well... I don't think I would be as generous as you.  All they are gonna get me from me is $10, just to make sure that the savings account has a positive "available" balance, since they take the first $5 unavailable for use.

My initial funds transfer to open the account also seem to be taking this 5-day hold rule.  This, I expected, as it is clearly stated in their "Agreement."  But, your case?  Pfft.  No way in hell I'd put as much effort as you, to persue a relationship with an FI so FIXATED on putting holds on everything.

Thank you for your datapoint.  You saved me a lot of future hassle, time, and money.

While I agree their holds policy is a bit extreme, I don't know that OP's experience is the norm. There are countless data points confirming the 6 month hold rule (and their own T&C's state this as well), but besides OP, I've never heard of Penfed continuing to place extended holds on transfers/payments.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 32 of 33
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

@OmarGB9 

I thought so too until I saw the OP's posts.  I read through PenFed's Disclosure Agreement, and it seems that any kinds of holds are limited to 6 months or to the special "Premium" savings account.  But OP says he has personally called them to verify.  So I am a little confused as well.  If they can do that to him, they can certainly do that to me.

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.