Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed EMV in UK

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Penfed EMV in UK

For those interested, experience using the Penfed Plat Rewards card with EMV chip. As expected, the card defaults to chip & signature, and is meant to do chip&pin only when used at unattended locations. Dying to try this out, I tried to top up my Oyster card (tube/bus stored value ticket) at an automated machine.   It took it, but did not ask for PIN or signature.  So I also tried my non-chip Capital One card and that worked fine too, so not a good test! 

(The second time Cap One was rejected for "transaction limit", apparently two 25GBP transcactions to this vendor in two days was too much.)

Even in the last year, people here seem less prepared for signature transactions than before.  At over 50% of the places, they are very surprised to see a signature slip come out of the chip&pin machine, at least one time the person thought it was an error and apologized, and in many of the other places, there was a frantic search for a pen: with 99.999% of people using chip&pin, pens just aren't needed.

I also had a "real" chip&pin debit card, I was able to put that into a random ATM and change my PIN.  This isn't supported on the Penfed card, as we had been warned.   Still not sure why they didn't default to chip&pin, it really lowers the usefulness.

But waiting to see if I get 3 % of my UK groceries.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Re: Penfed EMV in UKI

I did not know that Penfed was doing EMV chip cards.  I have a new card in the mail and I wonder if they will just send me one with the new security jewelry or do I have to request it?

Message 2 of 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

You probably have to request it and choose the PIN (as you cannot change it).  On the penfed site there is a customer service option to request an EMV card so you might want to try that.

Message 3 of 6
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

You probably have to request it and choose the PIN (as you cannot change it).  On the penfed site there is a customer service option to request an EMV card so you might want to try that.

I cannot find that on their website, but no matter.  The card is due any day now.  If it doesn't come with EMV, I'll just request that one be sent.  I just didn't know that it was available at all.  Thanks for the tip.

Message 4 of 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

And finally (having returned from the UK) I can confirm that the Penfed card did indeed give me 3% off (most) of the UK grocery stores I used it in.   THis is nice because others, such as Amex BCE/P, restrict to US only.

Message 5 of 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Sevenfeet wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

I cannot find that on their website, but no matter.  The card is due any day now.  If it doesn't come with EMV, I'll just request that one be sent.  I just didn't know that it was available at all.  Thanks for the tip.

Yes, I can no longer see it either!  It was there for some period, don't know if I merely can't find it again or if it has been remvoed.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.