Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Pathfinder Amex Approval Weirdness

tag
happypill
Valued Contributor

Penfed Pathfinder Amex Approval Weirdness

About a month ago, I was approved for a Penfed Pathfinder Amex for $36.5k, my highest ever approval.  I eagerly awaited the card day after day, but after about 3 weeks, nothing had arrived in the mail.  I was concerned that the card was lost in the mail or something (nothing had been activated to my account so I wasn't worried it was stolen or anything), so I called in.  The rep was friendly and he said he saw that something hadn't finished processing on their end and that he would fix it and get the card sent out.

Yesterday was the 8th day since that call and no card.  I just got my mail today and again no card so I called in again.  The Penfed rep was again friendly and basically said the same thing the first guy I spoke with said; that she saw the approval but something wasn't finalized.  She put me on hold for a little while to do some research and came back to tell me that it was fixed and that she would personally watch over the process the next few days and that I wouldd for sure not have to call in again regarding this issue.  She was very apologetic and I guess that's pretty much all she could do, so we'll see if everything is good to go now.

Then, a few mintues after getting off the phone, I got a new approval email.  The limit on the card is now $40k!  I didn't get any alerts of any new inquiries (I'll be really mad if they did that) so maybe it was a gesture of good will for the unexpected hassle.  It puts me at $50k total with Penfed now.  It's nice to have a live CSR to talk to when you have an issue, assuming the problem is fixed now.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Penfed Pathfinder Amex Approval Weirdness

Weird process, but the ending was happy.

Out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait on hold to talk to the reps?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate waiting for a new card every day in the mail and not having it show up. But that being said, that limit probably makes it a bit easier to stomach.
Message 3 of 6
happypill
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhiowrote:

Weird process, but the ending was happy.

Out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait on hold to talk to the reps?

The firs time I called was on a Saturday and I had to hold for about a minute.  2nd call was earlier today around 5pm PST, and I had to hold between 5-10 minutes.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

A real gesture of good will would have been to put the card in the mail via UPS overnight AM service... Not add $4,000 to the limit on a $36,000 card. Penfed is so painfully slow and disorganized, which is why I got rid of them after 5-6 months.  

Message 5 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

GratsSmiley Happy Now see if this card arrivesSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.