Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed no longer offers 24/7 Credit Card Customer Service

tag
tussking
Established Contributor

Penfed no longer offers 24/7 Credit Card Customer Service

Smiley Sad

Shocked...This must be something new. Just when I opened a new Power Cash Visa and was looking to give them some love...Nope.

Back to NFCU with my monthly charges.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed no longer offers 24/7 Credit Card Customer Service

Do you routinely call banks? And if you do you call them at 2 AM?
Message 2 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

not sure why this would be a dealbreaker
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 14
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

2am..thanks for that, I just sprayed tea all over my xps 13 lol...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley HappyMaybe a valid case if one notices that his/her wallet is no longer within sight at 1:50AM and determines that it is lost at 2:00AM?

Although, nowadays many issuers allow one to freeze card(s) using app/website so might not be a huge issue and could be quicker than going through ID questions with CSR after a long hold.

That said, for travel oriented cards the story is different. What if one is in a hurry to let an auto declined charge go through in a timezone that happens to not be in the wee hours when it is 2:00AM EST? What if one faces an emergency situation and wants to call help from the Global Assist®/CSR? Of course these probably not going to happen routinely, but getting burnt once in these situations can easily make one think of the horror routinely for many years to come.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What ifs can go on forever.
Message 6 of 14
kdm31091
Super Contributor

My guess is they decided there weren't enough people calling at the odd hours with issues that can't be resolved more easily (website, app, etc). It's not worth keeping the phone lines open if no one is using it at that time.

Yes, there is always that 1% of situations where it could be an issue, but hardly a dealbreaker.

Message 7 of 14
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I have only called a bank once at 2am in my 45 years of having credit cards.  That was when my Chase card wouldn't work in a European ATM at 8am Sunday morning (Central European time) shortly after my plane landed.  Chase couldn't help me anyway, so a friend loaned my some Euros until Chase finished their overnight system updates a few hours later.

I rarely call lenders.  I think it has been two years since I've called UNFCU, and a year since calling PenFed or Chase.  I haven't called NFCU in four or five years.  I called Amex and Citi about 18 months ago to close my cards.  I've never understood why folk in this forum seem to enjoy chatting up customer service reps so frequently.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 8 of 14
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I always appreciate businesses that don’t aim to be (below) average, and strive to deliver a higher level of service than the competition. Regardless of whether or not I would actually phone PenFed at 2:00 in the morning, I’m not really one to welcome less service with nothing in exchange. I feel exactly the same way about Walmart or Target (...) expecting customers to ring up their own items at self-checkout without a discount when they decide to close down staffed registers. That’s certainly one of the reasons why I drive past those stores, but I digress. I don’t even think I can consider PenFed as being average with this change since so many basic credit cards have 24/7 customer service... “The cost of doing business.”

Message 9 of 14
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

I always appreciate businesses that don’t aim to be (below) average, and strive to deliver a higher level of service than the competition. Regardless of whether or not I would actually phone PenFed at 2:00 in the morning, I’m not really one to welcome less service with nothing in exchange. I feel exactly the same way about Walmart or Target (...) expecting customers to ring up their own items at self-checkout without a discount when they decide to close down staffed registers. That’s certainly one of the reasons why I drive past those stores, but I digress. I don’t even think I can consider PenFed as being average with this change since so many basic credit cards have 24/7 customer service... “The cost of doing business.”

You sound like an Amex kind of guy who shops mostly at Nordstroms.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.