cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People are Wasting Credit Limits by apping too fast or soon.

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: People are Wasting Credit Limits by apping too fast or soon.

I will remember this and try to see if I can hold out until November and then apply for the Chase Freedom. I eventually hope to be able to combine the limit of my SW card to that and end up with a nice Visa Signature version of the Freedom card if possible.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this. Very helpful post. Definitely gardening for a while.
Message 12 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@flawesome wrote:

Is it terrible that I don't particularly care what my initial limits are :x ? I just want the cash back. In any case, by the time it matters they will have grown.

Not terrible, just a different goal.   If you go for cards just to get the sign up bonus, that's fine as long as you keep getting approved, and the CL is high enough to make meeting minimum spend tolerable.

Message 13 of 16
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

I feel like I repeat this same thing over and over. Glad someone else agrees. 

Message 14 of 16
KJamesJR
Established Member

@flawesome

This is pretty much how I attack it as well. If I can correctly diversify and utilize my cash back and rewards bonuses, that extra savings can be applied elsewhere. For example a high yield savings account. All the cash back I earn gets added into my savings pool which upon maturity will go to the market and work even harder for me. With enough diversity between lender perks you can assure you'll have a card for just about anything. At which point its all about being patient and rolling over points/cash back at the end of every month.

All the while your growing FICO scores and credit limits. Win win.

Starting Score: 510
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Chase I got approved for a Freedom 6 months ago at $500, CLId to $2000. 3 months ago I got a Disney Premier with them with a $4000 CL. Yesterday I got a Slate with a $600 limit, and four hours later I applied and got a Sapphire Preferred with a $k limit. I've gotten 4 cards with them in the past 6 months.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.