cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People with CSR. Will you be keeping the card ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: People with CSR. Will you be keeping the card ?

Currently just over 1 million.

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Very nice.  Hope you put them to good use

Message 32 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, I'm sure we will. We've been burning through MR lately as Delta flights are most common out of our local airport. We've got a few EU trips coming up that will take care of a good chunk of the UR, but I need things to slow down at work for both of us first. That looks like the end or middle of next year, depending on how fast my next project moves.

Message 33 of 42
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice!  Enjoy.  I will be keeping my CSR, if I could only have one card it would be this one.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will be keeping the CSR.

Message 35 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

For me, the CSR is much better than Amex Platinum because most of my airfare is paid with frequent flyer miles earned in previous years, so I would rarely benefit from Platinum's 5 points per dollar on airfare.  I realize that CSR gives 3 points per dollar for hotels rather than the 5 points given by Platinum, but I prefer to deal directly with the hotels rather than through a travel portal as required by Platinum. I also prefer the way CSR handles travel credits (flights and hotels count towards the credit, unlike Platinum's incidental expenses).

100% agreed.  In fact, the only reason I keep my platinum vs getting a CSR is for the superior lounge network.  One correction, you can use the platinum credit for flights, but you have to designate the airline.

You CAN NOT use the Platinum credits for flights! The people who has gotten those credits have been lucky, mostly due to computer glitches or how the charge was coded.  It is a hit or miss.  

Message 36 of 42
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

I'm definitely keeping it.  We travel a few times a year & dine out a fair amount, so it's been an awesome card for us. 

Travel/dining spend combined with being able to transfer bonus category points from Freedom makes it crazy for us

to even think about cancelling it.  I would probably agree with the previous poster who said if they could only have one card, this would be it.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 37 of 42
digitek
Established Contributor

@Noctilum wrote:

If you still aren't sure about renewing your CSR, remember the break-even points for spend to meet the $150 annual fee after the $300 travel credit.  Even if you do not travel a lot, just a once or twice a year can still be well worth keeping it.  

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/break-even-point-chase-sapphire-reserve/

Travel and Dining (direct redemption):
Points earned per dollar: 3
Value per point: 1.5 cents
Total rewards per dollar spent: 4.5 cents

$150 / $0.045 = $3,333.33

Non-bonus spending (direct redemption):
Points earned per dollar: 1
Value per dollar spent: 1.5 cents

$150 / $0.015 = $10,000

It is even easier to reach the break-even point if you pair with the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, since CSR enhances the points earned on those two non-fee cards once transferred to it.

I appreciate the math he is doing, but the story is a little different if you actually do the calculations in relation to card that might beat it in reward's redemption.  I'll just compare Travel/Dining spending against the USAA Limitless.  Whereas his analysis is a break even point for the CSR, with the Limitless since their is no AF you get a huge head start, there is no break even, it's straight free.  And I actually did some other math recently on the CSR redemptions, and its really not 4.5%, it's closer to 4.3% because to get the good redemption rate you have to use the points for travel, in which case you won't get points on that travel spend.  We'll just keep it at 4.5% though for ease of example.

The reward redemption difference is 2%; you get 2% more back on Travel/Dining with the CSR as opposed to the Limitless.  So at what point of spend on Travel/Dining does 2% become $150 (the difference in AF between the Limitless and CSR)?

150 / .02 = 7500

or

7500 x .02 = 150

So the point at which the CSR annual cost is equal to the Limitless is actually $7500 dollars per year spend in Travel/Dining.  That's $625 a month in just those 2 categories.

CSR does have an insane amount of trip insurance, though, like all freaking kinds and very large policies, and lounge access, and TSA paid for.  I don't really make use enough of the lounges, most are not open 24 hours and I like to book direct flights if possible, I would never pay for it out of pocket for a yearly membership.  Same with TSA, it's a nice perk, but I don't travel internationally enough to really care about it and wouldn't pay for it myself out of pocket.

Limitless actually does have travel insurance, just not as comprehensive.  Both have no FTF.

I try to eat out less and less lately, so the 4.5% redemption in that category is nice, but not one that I really want to be taking advantage of regularly.

I won't have to try and use the $300 travel credit every year if I don't feel like it.

If you had the Chase Trifecta it would be a little different, the 2.5% of the Limitless is still better than the 2.25% of the Freedom Unilimited, but the 7.5x cash back for the regular Freedom would be kind of a curve ball because it would really depend on whether you could spend up to the limit in the categories through out the year.  They had some pretty good categories in 2017, gas, goceries, restaurant......groceries would probably max at 1500 easily and that would be worth about 112 alone....  OK so with the CSR and the regular old Freedom it becomes a no brainer, and would pay for itself in annual cash back comparison including AF to almost any other card (if you include $300 travel credit).  They were rumoring about changing the rewards redemption value for Freedom to CSR recently, though...

I might have to rething my idea of closing the CSR and instead just get a Freedom, too =D

Message 38 of 42
xgac12x
Established Contributor

I will be keeping it for sure. I love mine. I have it paired with the Freedom Unlimited to help bring in more UR on my spending. 

For instance people saying that they can't justify the technical $150 AF, just recently I booked a Southwest flight that cash price for two people was $895. I booked two round trip tickets transferring 38.5k UR to Southwest 1:1 and paying roughly $25 in fees. So those points cash value are $385. Plus the fees of $22, comes out to costing me $407 rather than $895 if I were to pay cash. 

So I saved $488 by using points generated from CSR + Freedom Unlimited combo. One flight booked, and the complete cost of the AF was saved by using the UR. I guess if you want to look at it, I technically saved $870 since I was only really out of pocket $25 for the flight.

Keeping mine 

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 39 of 42
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

I can't afford to keep this card. I'm closing mine. JK 😂

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.