Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Per DoC Citi DC “points” transfer to TYP

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Citi Double Cash Master Card Cash Rewards Converted to Thank You Points

Keep in mind Citi has a history of restricting how TYs can be used based on their source...regardless of what other cards a person may have.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 121
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Unless I am reading it wrong it is going to be completely optional. You don't have to redeem for TY points. You can redeem as 2% cash like normal. This is an added option, not an "instead of".

Message 12 of 121
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Unless I am reading it wrong it is going to be completely optional. You don't have to redeem for TY points. You can redeem as 2% cash like normal. This is an added option, not an "instead of".

+1

That's  how i interpreted it to read also "completely optional"

Message 13 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the snippit on the statement.... also... they're nerfing everything else on the card besides the 2% cashback.

The following is a summary of changes that are being made to your card
benefits. Effective September 22, 2019,

Worldwide Car Rental Insurance,

Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection,

Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance,
Citi Price Rewind,

90 Day Return Protection,

Damage & Theft Purchase Protection, 

Extended Warranty will be discontinued and will no longer be
provided for purchases made on or after that date. 

I'm sure this has been mentioned before in another thread but.... helpful reminder to actually check your "statement" and not just the charges to be reconciled.

Message 14 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Per DoC Citi DC “points” transfer to TYP

As one who has had a multi year relationship with Citi and their "Thank You" Points, I found for cash they would redeem (pay) it at 0.5 rather than one to one or greater. In reading their Thank You Points web site, redemption shows as at $50 or $100. While it appears for those who would utilize more than cash, it may be a potential enhancement.

Since I dropped all my Citi Thank You Rewards related cards (not seeking the TY points) and without travel benefits what is the point. In reviewing the Thank You website they still even reference the Citi Forward Card which was gone a long while back. In truth, I do not have a lot of faith in Citi making this a better situation for those of us looking for straight cash and if "statement credits" is the cash option it is not quite cash for me. Redemption at $50+ rather than $25 is a real deal killer!

As various posters have pointed out, it seems we don't not have the final outcome as yet on how Citi will handle the Citi Double Cash but, based on what Citi Bank has been doing with most all of their other credit cards, I am not feeling a lot of positive. Smiley Mad

Message 15 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a follow on this posting, I went to the Citi Card website and looked at what was there for someone applying for a Citi Double Cash Back Master Card. Read the Terms and Conditions along with the additional information. Interesting enough, Citi has a the present Rewards through October 31, 2019 and the new Rewards as of November 1, 2019. They do not read what is posted in the Doctor of Credit Forum. To avoid adding more confusion I did not bring the new information forward as is it going to change or what??? If your interested, go look up the Citi Double Cash Card and read the Terms and Additional Information sections.

Message 16 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is probably their way of preventing people from closing the Premier after the year is up. I’m probably still closing mine since my only use for TYP are Portal redemptions.

However then again I do also hold the Rewards+ which would add an extra 10% to that number so hmm
Message 17 of 121
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Keep in mind Citi has a history of restricting how TYs can be used based on their source...regardless of what other cards a person may have.

This to me is just as important as the conversion rate. Even if they offered 1:1, Citi could simply treat those TYPs just like banking TYPs that don't transfer to partners and only have a "cash" value. If that's the case, the only reason to convert DC cash to TYPs is if you have a Premier card where you could get an additional 25% value. Otherwise, you might as well keep the points as cash in your DC account. 

Message 18 of 121
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Caught750 wrote:
Per DoC Citi will now allow DC “points” transfer to a TYP earning card. This makes their offering quite a bit more valuable IMO. I may hafta keep my Premier.

It's funny but I keep reading about "notices" from Citibank on this forum, but -- even though I have both the DoubleCash and the Premium cards -- I haven't received either the notice about nerfing benefits or the notice about DoubleCash rewards being converted to ThankYou points.

My reaction to the first piece of news about the nerfing of benefits was that Citi was about to convert my Premier card into a second rate card. I can't believe I won't be able to use my main travel card for renting a car.

But if the DoubleCash rewards wind up being converted on an equal basis to ThankYou points, holy cow, that could be amazing. The ThankYou points are worth around 1.6 cents apiece to me, so my DoubleCash could be earning me 3.2% on ordinary, non-category daily spend. 

Of course, we don't know how this will all play out, but I will be paying attention.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 19 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doc now reporting it's 1:1.

This is a massive game changer, DC will be ahead of cfu, ppmc, nfcu.
Message 20 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.