Did you mean: 

Per DoC Citi DC “points” transfer to TYP

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Per DoC Citi DC “points” transfer to TYP

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If it holds true that DC will transfer 1:1, I may consider grabbing my own Double Cash (assuming AU accounts won't be able to transfer) or possibly product changing my Rewards+ to DC in the future.

Personally I don't see much value in the R+ card, it seems to hold a weird spot in the TYP program. If it's true that the DC can soon transfer to be points than I really don't see the point in the R+.

R+ is good for the aforementioned 10% rebate on TYPs and for small transactions since it always get rounded up to 10 points earned.  A $2 coffee is going to always earn 5x, $0.50 transactions would earn 20x, etc.  Unfortunately for Citi, anywhere I end up making those rare small transactions usually takes contactless so I'll just use my Altitude Reserve for 4.5x.  For someone who often grabs a morning coffee (and doesn't use Dunkin' or Starbucks app) or for someone making a lot of small app store purchases (and I'm sure there are many other examples) it can be a great card.  It just doesn't fit in with my spend, but the next time Citi gives me a 5x targeted offer (or even better, the extra 5x targeted offer - I was earning 8x on travel for a while there on Premier) on it I'll use it to earn easy TYPs.

Message 41 of 121
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If it holds true that DC will transfer 1:1, I may consider grabbing my own Double Cash (assuming AU accounts won't be able to transfer) or possibly product changing my Rewards+ to DC in the future.

Personally I don't see much value in the R+ card, it seems to hold a weird spot in the TYP program. If it's true that the DC can soon transfer to be points than I really don't see the point in the R+.

R+ is good for the aforementioned 10% rebate on TYPs and for small transactions since it always get rounded up to 10 points earned.  A $2 coffee is going to always earn 5x, $0.50 transactions would earn 20x, etc.  Unfortunately for Citi, anywhere I end up making those rare small transactions usually takes contactless so I'll just use my Altitude Reserve for 4.5x.  For someone who often grabs a morning coffee (and doesn't use Dunkin' or Starbucks app) or for someone making a lot of small app store purchases (and I'm sure there are many other examples) it can be a great card.  It just doesn't fit in with my spend, but the next time Citi gives me a 5x targeted offer (or even better, the extra 5x targeted offer - I was earning 8x on travel for a while there on Premier) on it I'll use it to earn easy TYPs.

@K-in-Boston +1  I find value in TYPs and burn most of them for short hauls on AA via Qantas.  I got this card specifically because of my vending machine purchases at work.  Coffee/Drinks are between .75 and and $1.00 with Red Bull, Monster, etc being $1.50  Snacks range from .50-1.75.  With the amount of gum and coffee/energy drinks I buy during a regular shift, the Rewards+ card is a true workhorse and I rack up a lot of TYPs in a short period of time.  Definitely a keeper for me.  And if the DC transfer at a 1:1 then I'll have a full house with Citi as I have the Premier, Prestige, Rewards+, and DC.  

Message 42 of 121
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

R+ is good for the aforementioned 10% rebate on TYPs and for small transactions since it always get rounded up to 10 points earned.  

If the DC transfer rate is 1:1, I assume linking R+ means your DC really earns 2.22 TY points per dollar spent due to the rebate...

For me, TY points are worth 1.7 to 2.1 cents per point with transfer partners.  Pretty strong for noncategory spend...

Although with BOA Platinum Honors and US Bank Alt Reseve, you can get 5.6% on online spend and 4.5% on contactless physical spend.

Message 43 of 121
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@K-in-Boston +1  I find value in TYPs and burn most of them for short hauls on AA via Qantas.  I got this card specifically because of my vending machine purchases at work.  Coffee/Drinks are between .75 and and $1.00 with Red Bull, Monster, etc being $1.50  Snacks range from .50-1.75.  With the amount of gum and coffee/energy drinks I buy during a regular shift, the Rewards+ card is a true workhorse and I rack up a lot of TYPs in a short period of time.  Definitely a keeper for me.  And if the DC transfer at a 1:1 then I'll have a full house with Citi as I have the Premier, Prestige, Rewards+, and DC.  

Why have both the Premier and Prestige?

Message 44 of 121
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Even with the nerfed 4th night free benefit, that perk alone still MORE than pays for the Prestige. And if one is in the TYP ecosystem, the 5x on restaurants and 5x on airfare can be beneficial.

Premier has a wide-open 3x travel and the 2x on entertainment, as well as the 25% bonus for travel portal.
Message 45 of 121
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Premier has 3x on gas it's under rated for people that need to fill up more than once a week. I have been contemplating whether to keep typ cards but this change may make me use typ more than ur. Will just keep ur for ink cash gift cards freedom 5x and maybe shopping portal but even that's a stretch since I use aa shopping portal more these days.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 46 of 121
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@ToxikPH wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

To follow up with @K-in-Boston has mentioned.  I think the Prestige more than pays for itself with the easy-to-use $250 travel credit.  Even with the free night being capped at 2 I still get a lot of value out if it.  It compliments the Premier very well as the it has been mentioned, the 3x on travel with the Premier has a very wide range.  The Rewards+ is a niche I'll give you that but works for my set up and the DC just brings home the entire ecosystem if one is invested in TYPs.

Message 47 of 121
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

To follow up with @K-in-Boston has mentioned.  I think the Prestige more than pays for itself with the easy-to-use $250 travel credit.  Even with the free night being capped at 2 I still get a lot of value out if it.  It compliments the Premier very well as the it has been mentioned, the 3x on travel with the Premier has a very wide range.  The Rewards+ is a niche I'll give you that but works for my set up and the DC just brings home the entire ecosystem if one is invested in TYPs.

My main thing is the transfer partners, are there any good transfers for domestic travel? Also, doubt I could personally get much use out of it as Amex has me covered on almost all fronts.

Message 48 of 121
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@ToxikPH wrote:

My main thing is the transfer partners, are there any good transfers for domestic travel? Also, doubt I could personally get much use out of it as Amex has me covered on almost all fronts.

Just using Delta as an example, I mentioned Flying Blue (KLM/Air France) and Virgin Atlantic earlier.  The caveat with Virgin Atlantic is that if it's not a direct flight, the value might not be as good since there is a per-segment number of miles needed.  I'll pick a transcontinental example using two Delta hubs: BOS and SEA.  Keep in mind that FlyingBlue and Virgin Flying Club are transfer partners of every major points program, in addition to being very close Delta partners.  Just picking a 1 week round-trip in the first week of January as an example:

Delta $456 in Main Cabin or $1450 in First

• Booked with MRs through Amex portal: 45,600 Main (1.00 cpp) or 145,000 First (1.00 cpp)
  • Booked with TYPs through Citi portal with Premier: 36,480 Main (1.25 cpp) or 116,000 First (1.25 cpp)
  • Booked with URs through Chase portal with CSP: 36,480 Main (1.25 cpp) or 116,000 First (1.25 cpp)
  • Booked with URs through Chase portal with CSR: 30,400 Main (1.50 cpp) or 96,667 First (1.50 cpp)
  • Booked with SkyMiles: 33,500 Main (1.36 cpm) and 112,500 First (1.29 cpm)
  • Booked with FlyingBlue via Air France: 29,000 Main (1.57 cpm) and 72,000 First (2.01 cpm)
  • Booked with Virgin Flying Club: 25,000 Main (1.82 cpm) and 45,000 First (3.22 cpm)

As you can see, for Delta award fares on direct domestic flights Virgin and Air France/KLM are often the way to go.  I'm a SkyTeam person, but I am sure among the other alliances there are also sweet spots with TYPs.

Message 49 of 121
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@ToxikPH wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@ToxikPH wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

While they don't have a partner like amex has with delta , and chase has with united, but they do have access to all the major alliance partners. The major perk I think for domestic travel is turkish partner, which gives you access to star allinace namely United. Economy RT is 20k, biz 30k, first 50k. I personally have never done it before but its possible to do. I think for delta and UAL they are 25k RT for economy, correct me if I am wrong.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 50 of 121
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.