Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps a silly question on HSBC Cash Rewards MC

tag
admiralq
New Contributor

Perhaps a silly question on HSBC Cash Rewards MC

I recently got my HSBC Cash Rewards MC and noticed something interesting on the back...it says "world" in the lower right corner. Does this mean this is a World Mastercard? I'm asking because they make no mention of this card being a world MC and only show world/world elite for their "Premier" cards.
Current FICO8 Scores (As of Dec 12th, 2020)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Perhaps a silly question on HSBC Cash Rewards MC

@admiralqyou piqued my curiosity so I did a live chat with HSBC and they said the card mentioned does NOT come in a World version.

Now that said, my Citi Cards have the word you describe on the back so I am wondering? Don't know how to verify whether it is or not. Years ago, there used to be a mandated "flexible spending" limit for the cards but that ended in 2015 so that may not be the answer.

Used to have HSBC Cash Rewards Master Card and an HSBC American Express Card. That was back when HSBC sold their credit cards to Capital One and I closed everything up.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was some discussion about being able to verify whether or not a card is/isn't really a higher status.  Maybe it was Visa but there should be a similar way to verify the status of the card through Mastercard's website.

It's possible they're just issuing plastic that says "world" w/o the benefits of the level of that card version.  I doubt they would put it on the card if it weren't available to at least 1 customer at some point.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

There was some discussion about being able to verify whether or not a card is/isn't really a higher status.  Maybe it was Visa but there should be a similar way to verify the status of the card through Mastercard's website.

It's possible they're just issuing plastic that says "world" w/o the benefits of the level of that card version.  I doubt they would put it on the card if it weren't available to at least 1 customer at some point.

My sentiments also. How to test as I can't believe they would issue the card with "World" and not have some benefits of the World Master Card. We all know that CSR's sometimes don't get the word or are not informed in training. Makes me wonder?

Message 4 of 5
hzynneb
New Contributor

They are upgrading everybody to World. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.