longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Perils of MS

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

I wonder how many people would reply to this job post:

$60K a year salary

Job decription: go to CVS 3 times a week and purchase $15K worth of gift cards

Go to walmart 5 times a week and have a great time with those 30 gift cards. Time spent at walmart per trip : 30 minutes.

Any takers?

Actually. That would equal about $37,500 worth of 5% cashback.

Once you pay the fees on it it's actually more like $30,000.

If you are trying to use cards purchased from CVS at Walmart, allow much more than 30 mins!     To be fair, the money is tax free.

But I agree, little is better in life than standing in line in a Walmart money center waiting for the people in front to treturn stuff without receipts that often come from different stores, have been heavily used, or both.  Of course, people behind you feel the same about the person messing around using cards to purchase money orders.

Message 81 of 163
IWOL
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Go to walmart 5 times a week and have a great time with those 30 gift cards. Time spent at walmart per trip : 30 minutes.

Any takers?

well that would be awkward to explain to credit card EO, if you ever have to recon for new credit card Smiley LOL

EO : what's your annual salary?

me : 30k

EO : what's your occupation?

me : oh, I do MS for living.

You could always say you are a "wholesale buyer" you know, of gift cardsSmiley LOL

Message 82 of 163
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Any takers?

well that would be awkward to explain to credit card EO, if you ever have to recon for new credit card Smiley LOL

EO : what's your annual salary?

me : 30k

EO : what's your occupation?

me : oh, I do MS for living.

"I deal in commodities"   Small rectangular plastic ones as it happens.

Message 83 of 163
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Any takers?

If you are trying to use cards purchased from CVS at Walmart, allow much more than 30 mins!     To be fair, the money is tax free.

But I agree, little is better in life than standing in line in a Walmart money center waiting for the people in front to treturn stuff without receipts that often come from different stores, have been heavily used, or both.  Of course, people behind you feel the same about the person messing around using cards to purchase money orders.

Yup, the best part about this is it being tax free.

30k isn't a lot of money, but for someone whos stuck at mcdonalds pushing burgers, this is actually a better "career"

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 84 of 163
IWOL
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Any takers?

30k isn't a lot of money, but for someone whos stuck at mcdonalds pushing burgers, this is actually a better "career"

Thats true, but how would someone "stuck at McDonalds" have the credit lines to do that volume of MS. If there are any McDonalds employees that do have the credit lines to do that , I would imagine they are few and far between.

Especially doubt people in that situation have a 50K+ Blue Cash.

Message 85 of 163
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Any takers?

Tough times call for tough measures.

Message 86 of 163
Anonymous
Not applicable

hmmm... this thread got me craving for some mcdonald fries.

Message 87 of 163
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hmmm... this thread got me craving for some mcdonald fries.

Get me one too.

And don't steal my monopoly stickies.

Message 88 of 163
enharu
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Any takers?

Thats true, but how would someone "stuck at McDonalds" have the credit lines to do that volume of MS. If there are any McDonalds employees that do have the credit lines to do that , I would imagine they are few and far between.

It's easier when you have your checking / savings and credit cards in the same bank.

for instance, when you pay your chase, citi or WF cards from the same bank, the available credit is freed up right away. Not 100% sure about Chase though. Sometimes they free up the credit, sometimes they don't. Maybe it has to do with the time of the day when the payment is made.

Citi reflects the payment into the current balance and available credit immediately. 

So in a way it's easier to churn that way, though it will be highly suspicious if you're constantly depositing money orders or $500 cash.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 89 of 163
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enharu wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@IWOL wrote:

$60K a year salary

Any takers?

It's easier when you have your checking / savings and credit cards in the same bank.

for instance, when you pay your chase, citi or WF cards from the same bank, the available credit is freed up right away. Not 100% sure about Chase though. Sometimes they free up the credit, sometimes they don't. Maybe it has to do with the time of the day when the payment is made.

Citi reflects the payment into the current balance and available credit immediately. 

So in a way it's easier to churn that way, though it will be highly suspicious if you're constantly depositing money orders or $500 cash.

I constantly deposit money from a small side business i've been cultivating for a time and have been doing so for a couple years. No issues here.

Message 90 of 163
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.