Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal 1st app spree *Updated 8/22

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: 2nd card after lackluster year with Wells Fargo Secured

I wish I could get that discover more card. I have way too many inqs though. Time to get gardening. Maybe I'll actually stay in this time. 

Message 41 of 49
Cranski
Valued Member

Re: 2nd card after lackluster year with Wells Fargo Secured

Soooo... A few things and a few questions, make good use of this topic yet.

I actually got the Discover More, not the student >_>

The Cap1 is a Platinum (reg) with credit steps (I mostly know what that is) for  $300....

It doesn't have any actual written information about the 0% APR till March 13.

There is no apr information or the waiver of annual fee I was "given."

Even in the double sided 9 page flip I read through; I wonder how many people don't notice none of that is given.

*Edit; I looked them up before hand. Just surprised nothing was included.

The reason I looked is because I don't think that is a reasonable offer. Why? Well I am almost sure the auto system did the limit and card. The student loans in deferment till 2014 upset my debt to income ratio. Which has been the #1 reason for denial until recon. I also think the same happened with Wally World, though I just wanted the 5% gas rebate and free TU.

So do I really want this card? It would be an extra 300 to my credit total but there are no benefits or bonuses. I would be afraid to use it to pay what I pay now. I don't think I want to go buy "something/junk" for $30 to pay it 1 every 5 months and hope they boost it up high in the 7th month. Now, I did that with the Walmart, but I needed school supplies and gave the little one some genuine Chinese play toys; $ 55 auto $155 just to tell them in 4 months I had to do separate purchases just to benefit with the card because of the low limit...

I do like the "mastercard benefits," but I get the same from Visa (for me personally, I don't international travel).

I could just grumble a bit at the csr and go to a Senior Analyst maybe, but I'm not digging another HP; I'm already scampering to find a student auto loan program without HP until I know I have a good chance. Can I just cut it up and tell the csr thank you ever so much, but I'm going to pass on this? 

Reply JSUCOOL76; if you had that sweet young lady I talked to you could of got in... She kept repeating the question when I didn't enthusiastically reply with my wonderful ideas of things me and my discover card will be doing. The 2nd one that approved me that is, since the first one approved but it wasn't approved... I still think she was looking to up the limit more seeking a certain answer but I wasn't that prepared...

CS 701, CK 682, Credit.com 719/ TU FICO 666 (DIS 8/12) EU FICO 658 (8/12)
After spree CS 738, CK 684, TU FICO 666 (Dis 8/5)

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 42 of 49
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Personal 1st app spree *Updated 8/22

If your cap1 has no AF, theres no reason to close it. With a $300 CL your credit steps increase will probanly only be $150-$250 dollars. Cap1 has been good to me so I find it hard to hate on them but just don't expect the card to grow anytime in this lifetime.
Message 43 of 49
Cranski
Valued Member

Yeah that was the thing.

Capital One "Classic" Platinum

0% APR will 5/13 then 19.8%

$39 FEE....

29.4% for cash advance > Credit limit for advances $150

Credit line $300.

I know walmart was bad, I should have called. But my secured is higher...

I would rather wait a year and focus on walmart >discover

Wells Fargo> unsecured.

.....$39 dollars.... that would be the only charge I made.

WF Secured 600Cl (7/11), Discover More 1.5k (8/12), Walmart 150CL(8/12), Cap1 Platinum w/Credit steps($300) (8/12)
Message 44 of 49
Cranski
Valued Member

I originally aimed high for Cash Rewards... 

Was going to see if they would let the 22k salary slide with the extra 14k student. Maybe I will do what you did and pester the website csr Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 49
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I did a 22k salary as a full time college student (income from grants, scholarships and other stuff like that) and cap1 approved me for a 3k limit, so you never know. 

Message 46 of 49
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I think it is way too early to ditch the Cap1 card. You've been approved and it will only cost you $39 the first year.

The whole problem with your scores is that you don't have enough history and you now want to close a card that you've already paid a HP for? DON"T DO IT! Keep it for a year to help build your history and when the AF comes due next year re-evaluate your position. You can close it then if you want to. If you close it now, it will really look kinda weird on your reports for the next ten years.

A bird in the hand.....Kill that darn bird I don't need it! There's two more over there in that bush!Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 47 of 49
Cranski
Valued Member

@jamie123 wrote:

I think it is way too early to ditch the Cap1 card. You've been approved and it will only cost you $39 the first year.

The whole problem with your scores is that you don't have enough history and you now want to close a card that you've already paid a HP for? DON"T DO IT! Keep it for a year to help build your history and when the AF comes due next year re-evaluate your position. You can close it then if you want to. If you close it now, it will really look kind weird on your reports for the next ten years.

A bird in the hand.....Kill that darn bird I don't need it! There's two more over there in that bush!Smiley Frustrated

It isn't on my report cause I haven't accepted any agreement yet. The Hp will fall off in two years, anything else 7-8; I don't know where you got 10 years from.

My whole problem was a terrible parent. But all is well Smiley Happy

So talking to cap1 csr to senior csr; gah glad I read about the scripts before. Trying to explain to the first csr about the effects of student loans in differentiating the DTI ratio and she offers to switch me to someone concerning the fee... 

So after using my parenting explanation skill... The senior csr started his script. While I didn't have the time or patience, I stoped his speach about the effects of canceling to inquire about their processing service. Why they don't have analysts, and why would I want a the lowest level tier of the card. So they don't have any analysts as they are just call center operators; outsourced. Due to budget cuts and problems with all the sales lawsuits, government forced payouts, and downsizing; he is as good as it gets. So after agreeing with my issue of the deferred loans he said they can't even get into the application used to analyze the credit bureau information. They can only add other relevant information in available areas; such as income, savings, and any other currency related issues.

So I said I would look around at other contacts and will call back in reference to the card. I'm usually a smooth talker but it just doesn't exist where he is.

So, if not at the least switching from the 7 statement to 3. I need to seek the alternative of moving to the journey student card (the one I should have gotten) which will properly analyze the deferred loans. Or, also send in my received loans to the *22k reported salary I turned in. (*IRS this story is all fake and based on a fairy tale that someone created for public amusement)  >_>

No I get the "don't waste the HP," but it isn't that huge of a deal from what I'm doing. I will try for the journey through this app, but at the overly large chance I can't I'll cut them loose. I don't need the 300 ( 7 months) 500 (7 months) 750 because it will keep processing the loans exactly the same, unless I invest somewhere over the 13k loans. I would prefer Wally world to stay the lowest as they grow over my second year of credit cards.

I like the Dis More for the 5-30% discount shop, 7% back, and other special rewards. Got a nice Hertz 25% off.

I like the Walmart Free TU and prepaid ship to store, 5% off gas, as well as special offers they give; though I prefer Target.

The Cap 1 offers nothing but a fee, an urgency to pay off the $120 gas on one fill up, and a card that will remain low unless I force repeated monthly payments.

I don't mind just having the 3 cards for 2 more months and getting the 4th.

Now I'm going to take advantage of the student auto loan, preferably GM, eligibility and add a installment to the mix. Let it run a year then PIF instead of PIF to begin with...

Message 48 of 49
Cranski
Valued Member

Man, I love these forums Smiley Happy   

I don't like the pageantry and judgment of creditors in relation to how I manage my wealth.

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.