Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal blacklist for banks with credit cards

tag
itsy_bitsy_spyder
Established Member

Re: Personal blacklist for banks with credit cards

Completely agree with you @Remedios. Obviously, one wouldn't want to quit on a company out of protest, especially since I would just be a drop in the ocean for most of them. 

However, with Barclays, I've come to the conclusion that I'd never go there again bc of their AA policies especially since they charge a membership fee. They got me down to 10% of my initial CL. That really messes with your overall rations, regardless of where you are in your credit journey. For my financial goals, right after my mortgage refi, which I will shop around, I have to apply for other items - like car payments, other debt consolidations, etc. I don't want to go in every month, thinking if they'll screw me over again once they see the additional hard pulls. I wouldn't want to ask them for a CLI, because every time they give one, they might take it away again.

Not to mention that they wouldn't give you a CLI anyway, without a hard pull. If I did want to do a hard pull, I would rather just get something with better terms. 

To summarize, for my personal financial plans, I'm not going to bank with Barclays because I cannot count on them. 

Message 11 of 53
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Since there's  not much we can do to make a bank notice  us, its perfectly ok to be po'd  in your house, car , wherever  you want and rant and rave. If it make us feel better why deprive ourselvesSmiley Wink.  Banco Popular "feelings " get hurt worst than any bank ive ever seen and wont touch me with a 10 foot pole. Its ok, when i win Powerball ill be sure to send a  Christmas cardSmiley Happy

Message 12 of 53
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

I'll play along...

Capital One is on my "blacklist", going on ten years now.  My reasoning is their "unsatisfactory relationship" with me.  I feel like I've been "burned" by them, and as all my friends know, I have "a long memory".

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 13 of 53
itsy_bitsy_spyder
Established Member

@longtimelurker wrote:

While here at least Barclays has a reputation for being quick to AA, missing a mortgage payment isn't exactly a tiny thing!   So none of your other issuers cared?

Thanks @longtimelurker  For context, I have:

1. Two Capone - a Venture One and an older Capone Mastercard

2. Discover cashback

3. Chase Saffire Preferred

4. Amex Bluecash everyday

5. Two Barclays - one Aviator Mastercard and one Apple rewards. 

I did see some activity around overall benefits, and interest rates, but no reduced limits. I kick myself about the missed mortgage every day. The refi would definitely be much easier if I did not have that on my file Smiley Indifferent

Message 14 of 53
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@itsy_bitsy_spyder wrote:

Completely agree with you @Remedios. Obviously, one wouldn't want to quit on a company out of protest, especially since I would just be a drop in the ocean for most of them. 

However, with Barclays, I've come to the conclusion that I'd never go there again bc of their AA policies especially since they charge a membership fee. They got me down to 10% of my initial CL. That really messes with your overall rations, regardless of where you are in your credit journey. For my financial goals, right after my mortgage refi, which I will shop around, I have to apply for other items - like car payments, other debt consolidations, etc. I don't want to go in every month, thinking if they'll screw me over again once they see the additional hard pulls. I wouldn't want to ask them for a CLI, because every time they give one, they might take it away again.

Not to mention that they wouldn't give you a CLI anyway, without a hard pull. If I did want to do a hard pull, I would rather just get something with better terms. 

To summarize, for my personal financial plans, I'm not going to bank with Barclays because I cannot count on them. 

Oh, I understand completely. 

I just dont find it particularly productive for me to think of lenders as someone who makes emotional decisions to hurt us. 

I dont have Barclay cards, I find them neurotic and temperamental. 

At the same time, I have to acknowledge they work just fine for many people. 

I'm prone to credit seeking, I dont like having to watch over my shoulder, so i never applied and never will.

I dont think of that as a blacklist,  it's just that I know I'm not their ideal customer, and they arent my favorite type of lender, no need to add oil to fire. 

In the end, you should give your business to those lenders who benefit you and your goals, without having to check your limit daily or wonder if you will find out they closed your account while trying to pay. 

With that said, when dust settles, and you happen to be bored...apply, get the sub, have the card meet your socks. 

Message 15 of 53
itsy_bitsy_spyder
Established Member

@Kforce wrote:

Banks think with their wallets. (Yes)

Enough people leave, they might see it. ( Even 1 CC at a time)

It is your only easy way to show your unhappy.

Lots of excellent alternatives for my spend and need's.

If they really had something special, I might fold.

My list of issuers that I left.

Chase, Amex, Bank of America

@Kforce I actually did have a credit card with BoA 9 years ago when I was first building credit from zero. They canceled my card citing not enough activity, and not high enough score. This was way back though when I thought to be responsible with credit meant using them for emergencies Smiley Very Happy Now, I look at reviews of cards before I apply, and no cards from BoA crack the best-of-the-year on NerdWallet, or, pretty much any other listing.

Message 16 of 53
itsy_bitsy_spyder
Established Member

I have complicated feelings around CapOne, since I have two cards with them. 

The Venture - I got 3 years ago, and it was, and still is, the card with the highest original CL, that I ever got. The Platinum - I got it 10 years ago - one of my first cards, I remember I had  $300 CL on it when I got it. 

However, while I have no explicit AAs, they are usually very reluctant to give CLIs. The Venture never increased, and Platinum is at $3500 now. The latter was great for me to start establishing my credit, but I might have outgrown it. I pay for Netflix on it but that's pretty much it - I don't use it often, and I PIF.  

Message 17 of 53
itsy_bitsy_spyder
Established Member

Right, but the problem is, with perhaps a few exceptions like First Premier and maybe not even them, you are going to find people very happy and very unhappy with any issuer.   If a vast majority of customers hated a particular issue, then I could see it, but I don't think that any issuer is close to that.    As you know, your three blacklisted ones have lots of fans here!

In the earlylish days of the Web, I worked at a mega-corporation, and our marketing/PR people were very concerned and excited about the web (we didn't have the term Social Media then, AltaVista/Netscape were the rage!)   I remember one person telling us that it was a new world, because a single disatisfied customer could post (somewhere!) that our company really sucked, and suddenly we would lose thousands, if not tens/hundredes of thousands of customers very quickly.    What she failed to take into account is that all the competitors had exactly the same issues, with customers moving from one to another if they got annoyed.   And fairly quickly, the general public learned that when someone you don't know says "Product X sucks!"  it isn't necessarily true, or true for you.

But 18 years later we still see it here!

That's some perspective @longtimelurker . Thank you!

Message 18 of 53
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

Right, but the problem is, with perhaps a few exceptions like First Premier and maybe not even them, you are going to find people very happy and very unhappy with any issuer.   If a vast majority of customers hated a particular issue, then I could see it, but I don't think that any issuer is close to that.    As you know, your three blacklisted ones have lots of fans here!

In the earlylish days of the Web, I worked at a mega-corporation, and our marketing/PR people were very concerned and excited about the web (we didn't have the term Social Media then, AltaVista/Netscape were the rage!)   I remember one person telling us that it was a new world, because a single disatisfied customer could post (somewhere!) that our company really sucked, and suddenly we would lose thousands, if not tens/hundredes of thousands of customers very quickly.    What she failed to take into account is that all the competitors had exactly the same issues, with customers moving from one to another if they got annoyed.   And fairly quickly, the general public learned that when someone you don't know says "Product X sucks!"  it isn't necessarily true, or true for you.

I was wondering how come you weren't the first one to reply. 

I was about to tag you 

Message 19 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

I was wondering how come you weren't the first one to reply. 

I was about to tag you 

I was sedated for a medical procedure and the thoughtless healthcare staff didn't allow me to use my phone to post on MyFico!   They said something about "other priorities" if you can believe that!

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.