Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persuading CCs to approve CLIs

tag
USC08
Frequent Contributor

Persuading CCs to approve CLIs

Anyone care to share certain methods of getting CLIs from CCCs? What are some good reasons to suggest for CLI's etc.?
myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Persuading CCs to approve CLIs

I usually just threaten to close the account. Most banks have special "retention" departments that you can call and they will be more willing to give CLI's than the normal customer service numbers.

I've been pretty successful getting CLI's from HSBC WITHOUT a hard pull by calling a certain number and mentioning that I'm thinking about closing the account.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to chime in, I wanted to close a CC I got through HSBC, it was a new account that I never activated. When I called in to close the account the CSR gave me a different number to call, (during regular bus. hours) I guess this was the special "retention" line. When I told them I wanted to close my account, they dropped my anual fee and raised my CL from 300 to 600. Well its been 6 months and Im getting ready to play the game again.
Message 3 of 5
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

Depending on the cards, sup or prime card i would try to get them to compete with each other meaning.

Lets say you have a discover card with a low limit, let them know that AMEX just give you a X amount of increase and that you're going to there card more often instead.

Get the point.

you can also use this when reconning an application. Let them that you have a amex card and as discover being one of the largest bank (Whatever that make them sound good) they should match their top competitor.

(This is just an example)

Message Edited by shyboy on 06-27-2008 11:34 PM

Message Edited by shyboy on 06-27-2008 11:35 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep I pulled this with BOA- they wouldn't give me a cli after I pif an 800 balance so I called back and said- "I don't understand. I've pif my balance and haven't been late in over 6 months (when I was it was by a day-dang online system) I just called my other credit card companies and Citi (which they really didn't) and Macy's (which they really did) gave me a cli. I've been with you guys longer and haven't received a single one!" AND BAM Cli- only 500 but i'll take it!

Message Edited by AlishaR on 06-28-2008 09:45 AM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.