cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pet Injured - Wife had to open credit..what next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pet Injured - Wife had to open credit..what next?

So long story short, one of our kittens (6 months old) suffered an injury the other night and we took him to an emergency vet Sunday morning.  Sort of like an urgent care for pets.  Our cat is all better now thanks to some medicine and bandaging.  Anyhow, the bill came to $560 and of course wife wife nor I were in a position to pay that, so she had to apply for "Care Credit," which she was approved for and was able to put the $560 on that.  If paid within 6 months, theres no interest.  So my question(s) are...should she close it once it's all paid and balance is zero?  Should she keep it "open," but not use it?  She is not good with credit monitoring, but has FICO of roughly 710.  All tips/advice appreciated!!  Thanks guys. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Pet Injured - Wife had to open credit..what next?

Depends. What are her stats (utilization, AAoA, AoOA, current CCs, derogs, etc)?
If it's a large credit line and is helping keep util low, it may be worthwhile to keep. Plus she already took the HP hit + lowering age of account hit.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
Mv350
Valued Contributor

From my understanding, care credit is a great way to pad or cushion your utilization. So it wouldn't hurt to keep it open, and not use it. Also in the future if something comes up, hopefully not, you would be able to use care credit anywhere it is accepted, which is a multitude of people providers too. Including optical, dental, and general practitioner services. Many individuals on this forum have care credit as a just in case.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mv350 wrote:
From my understanding, care credit is a great way to pad or cushion your utilization. So it wouldn't hurt to keep it open, and not use it. Also in the future if something comes up, hopefully not, you would be able to use care credit anywhere it is accepted, which is a multitude of people providers too. Including optical, dental, and general practitioner services. Many individuals on this forum have care credit as a just in case.

That's great to hear.  I'm still new to the credit game and am learning along the way.  I'll make sure I suggest that to her.  Good advice.  Thank you. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.