Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petal Card Payment Confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Petal Card Payment Confusion

Interesting point I would like to share about Petal. I love the card, but I had my first statement post on the 1st of September. I paid off the amount, and the total amount was taken from my bank. Today, the fourth, my balance due still says $0.00 but my available credit is my credit line minus my statement balance.

I was wondering if it was a glitch, so I called. Marco, the customer service associate, explained that it was still pending and could take a couple of more days to reflect.

I haven’t seen a card do this in the past, so I thought I would warn people in case they carry a large balance. You won’t have your available balance update for a good amount of time, which could potentially cause problems if you go to use it again quickly.

Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Petal Card Payment Confusion

I've never had any issues with the payment posting timeframes or the available credit updated once the payment is posted. IME, during any business days (not including holidays or weekends) payments tend to be updated within 24 hours along with the availabile credit.

It's fairly possible that since your account is fairly new that some processing holds may be expected.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may be correct @FinStar. I’ll keep my eye on it. It’s bizarre to say the least.
Message 3 of 8
jbestman007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting point I would like to share about Petal. I love the card, but I had my first statement post on the 1st of September. I paid off the amount, and the total amount was taken from my bank. Today, the fourth, my balance due still says $0.00 but my available credit is my credit line minus my statement balance.

I was wondering if it was a glitch, so I called. Marco, the customer service associate, explained that it was still pending and could take a couple of more days to reflect.

I haven’t seen a card do this in the past, so I thought I would warn people in case they carry a large balance. You won’t have your available balance update for a good amount of time, which could potentially cause problems if you go to use it again quickly.

Any thoughts?

It happens. My first payment to Chase took weeks to reflect on the available balance. Payment had posted and was already out of my banking account. Yet, my available balance never reflected that for weeks. The same thing happened with my Discover card. But, only for the first payment. After that first one, everything went to normal for both my Chase and Discover. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually read an article about Petal yesterday that specifically mentioned one of the negatives being slow payment posting but I can’t find it right now. I wouldn’t worry about it, my Apple Card did the same thing to me last week. I made my payment on a Saturday and my limit wasn’t restored until that Thursday. Never happened on any other card before but as long as it shows I made the payment on time, which it does, I can live with it. 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update everyone, this finally did resolve itself. :-)
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good. Like @Saeren said, as long as it doesn’t take days to post that the payment was received, the rest isn’t as important. And like @FinStar said, at the beginning they may take a little longer. I saw that with Amex - my first few payments would take a few days to be reflected in my CL restoration, but after that and since then, my CL is restored as soon as the screen refreshes saying “thanks for your payment”, now that they have seen that every time I make a payment, the money is in fact there to cover that payment.
Message 7 of 8
zerofire
Valued Contributor

In a lot of cases the first payment between two parties that have no existing relationship can be delayed. It really depends on the bank you are paying from and the bank that is receiving as well as the standing with each respective bank. Most likely Petal is using a smaller bank for processing that is a bit conservative. While Petal is in good standing which allows further payments to continue without hold that bank is skeptical of all the other banks. Most likely all new account holders get a small hold to stabilize the link and if the paying institution is smaller there is a even longer hold as they look up who is trying to pay. If I paid from Ally Bank I am fairly certain they would freak JP Morgan Chase Bank on the other hand would be much smoother.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.