Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking cards for my physical vs. mobile wallet

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Picking cards for my physical vs. mobile wallet

@HeavenOhio wrote:

@wasCB14, Schwab told me that their debit cards have zero contactless capability (cards themselves aren't contactless and they can't be added to mobile wallets). I guess that means carrying the card. Smiley Happy

My physical card has the contactless symbol on it, and

IMG_3026.PNG

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 21 of 28
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Did they ask "What's that, peasant?" 

If they did not, I'm disappointed. 

If they did, did you ask to talk to the manager? 

You cannot leave out super important details like that 

This is North East England, not London, shop workers are polite.  (Oh, they probably dislike the customers but manage not to show it.)  Since I am not quite sure what details might be super important:

Saturday, Dec 4th, 2021, around 3pm UK time.

Purchased  a 200 GBP Amazon UK gift card

A Tescos-brand vacuum cleaner, around 42 pounds

A variety of vegan grocery items for me and my daughter

Provided two 20 pound notes and used US Altitude Reserve for the rest.

At the door, was asked to show receipt as presumably some people walk out with an appliance.  Security guard also failed to call me peasant.

I have a 3 hour video of the experience, as well as an artist's reconstruction, a young adult novel based on this visit, and, nearly finished, a musical.   Let me know if any of those will help!

I would opt for seeing a CGI (or animated) version, but the musical would be just as good 😎

Message 22 of 28
bigseegar
Established Contributor

I can only add that I use Apple Pay and it will not allow me to add neither my Lowe's or Home Depot card to my wallet. Says neither of them are eligible.

Message 23 of 28
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

I can only add that I use Apple Pay and it will not allow me to add neither my Lowe's or Home Depot card to my wallet. Says neither of them are eligible.

Between the two stores there are quite a few different cards. I have the Lowes Business Rewards card. It's issued by Amex and runs on the Amex network. I was able to put it onto Apple Pay but I'm not sure if other cards would work. The HD Project Loan website shows a MC logo, but in the FAQ I see:

"What can I use a Project Loan for?

• A Project Loan can be used for any Home Depot in-store or online purchases and for Home Services."

...which would imply you can't use it outside of HD? Despite it having a MC logo?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 28
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Adding Home Depot to Apple Pay would probably be pointless anyway since they don't accept mobile pay.
Message 25 of 28
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14, my Schwab debit card is on a brokerage account while yours is on an account from Schwab Bank. I'd surmise that that's the reason I don't have contactless ability.

Message 26 of 28
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I bought a new semi-minimalist wallet last month and also discovered the iPhone card limit rose to 16 a few months ago. I'm trying to decide which cards to carry physically vs. just in my mobile wallet vs. keep mostly in the SD.

1. Lowes Amex AU. I don't go there very often, as Home Depot is closer and Ace sometimes has things neither HD not Lowes do. Has anyone been to a Lowes that didn't take contactless payments, either at general checkout at in some specialized department? I think my local one does. The discount is nice but everywhere else I'd favor the Business Platinum. I'd probably remember to take the physical card before going there to make a large ($1k+) purchase.

Sadly, neither the Lowe's nor the Home Depot near me take contactless pay (Philly suburbs, so not exactly hicksville.)

You're lucky yours does! I hate having to carry my BofA "Home Improvement" card rather than just using mobile wallet! Wish they would get with the times.

SD - Biz -
Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to clutter the thread by making a new onem so;

newbie using mobile pay, in fact not even sure I've used it once. Once tried Google Pay at a supermarket and it didn't work lol.

Now I've been using McDonalds, Starbucks and Subway(now can have 10% discount via gift card using Chase UR points) using those apps on my smartphone, do they count as mobile pay? Asking bc Discover has mobile pay as bonus category this quarter. If not, strickly using those Google Pay app, etc., then you can't use those apps to score points and get freebees? 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.