Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Places where Discover is not Accepted

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Places where Discover is not Accepted

@Anonymous wrote:

My culvers takes discover... The bar I work at doesnt take discover or amex. A lot of one off local places around here take only mc/visa.

Metro bus services

Seattle city light

Some small businesses

Downtown popular espresso shop (forget the name)

all these MasterCard, visa Only.

All I've found so far.  Pays to have one of each in the wallet. Smiley Tongue

Signature needs updating
Message 31 of 58
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

Costco 😝
Also the papa Murphy's next to me used to not take them but they switched to not taking amex.

And the place to renew my license its MC or cash only. 

That is just a bad business decision, its the same over in my area strangely enough, they WON'T take Amex or Discover but they'll take Food Stamp EBT cards Smiley Frustrated seriously Papa Murphys??????

An increasingly bothersome trend but that is a conversation not suited for this thread.

I've had PM's exactly 2 times. Wasn't that great.

Guess lower income folks need a pizza, though it's cheaper at Safeway.

Signature needs updating
Message 32 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or Sam's.

Baked in a convection oven w a good pizza stone and some extra toppings....Sam's take and bake isn't bad at all!
Message 33 of 58
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

In the name of me being cheapo, I cook via raw diet, microwave (nice large one In tiny apartment Smiley Very Happy), and crock pot. My stove has been turned off, and used as storage, since I moved in. Leads to much lower electric bills.
Signature needs updating
Message 34 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm..

Crock pots are good for some tasty meals for sure!
Message 35 of 58
chwebb1
Established Contributor

The small local auto mechanic I take the car to won't take Discover (but will take AMEX?!?!?), and a fast food restaurant called Cook Out only takes Visa/MC (ugh). Those are the only places I remember having issues using my Discover card.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 36 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our machine at work will take Both AmEX and Discover. We choose not to because the swipe fees are significantly higher. I work at a bar, with no food, so our average tab is  <20 dollars. Median tab is on the order of 25. And everybody that is paying with either of those cards has a Visa/MC. I am the only one that knows that our machine will do it, and for a few customers I will make an exception. One guy brings in 7 or 8 in his party once a month and they run up a 3-400 dollar tab which is probably 30 percent of my sales on a Monday. For him, AmEX is fine. For the guy having 2 5 dollar beers, it eats up anything we make. Of course he also has the decency to tip me 30+ percent every time, so I take 10 bucks of his tip and ring it back into the drawer to cover the owners cost on the swipe. The owner has never asked me about the one or two random AmEX charges I put through, so everybody wins.

Message 37 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't use my Discover card, but as a CC enthusiast I always looks to see which cards a business accepts. In Key West it is not easy to find a place to use a Discover card. 

I haven't worked or studied in a sector of the markets that merchant servicing knowledge was addressed so maybe someone on this thread could help me understand. (I did see a previous post in this thread that stated the differences in swipe fees and suggested Discover was higher than presumably VISA/MC. Also someone suggested there was an additional cost associated with accepting AMEX/Discover in addtion to the basic VISA/MC acceptance). I just looked up AMEX, VISA, MC, and Discover's interchange fees. It appears that in the US Visa and MC are on par with one another with fees between 1.55% and 2.00% depending on the merchant category and card present vs. card not present transaction. Discover was right in the same ballpark with 1.45% - 1.95% and all I could find was AMEX was near 3.5%. I understand merchants not wanting to pay 3.5% of each transaction with AMEX, but why the lack of merchants that accept Discover? Also just a strange thing I noticed when looking at the fee schedules was merchants categorized as a charity had some of the highest interchange fees.

I actually don't like Discover as a bank, but I am just curious if small business owners or people in the industry could shed some light on this. Doesn't make sense to me. 

Message 38 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I occasionally shop at Aldis. They do not accept Discover, Visa, MasterCard or Amex either. Talk about weird. They do take branded debit cards however. Their food is. Cheap enough that I can live without the cash back spending.
Message 39 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I occasionally shop at Aldis. They do not accept Discover, Visa, MasterCard or Amex either. Talk about weird. They do take branded debit cards however. Their food is. Cheap enough that I can live without the cash back spending.

Is this the place that you have to pay for bags for your groceries and rent a cart to use while you shop? I think I read an article about their business model when I was in college. 

Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.