cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plastiq to pay rent to landlord's bank with Amex?

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Plastiq to pay rent to landlord's bank with Amex?

I'm interested in applying for the Amex platinum in the next 4-6 months. I want to make sure i hit the minimum spend for the SUB, and being able to pay rent would make it much easier to hit spend. Currently my landlord takes payment via me transfering cash directly from my BofA account to her BofA account.

Can i use plastiq to do this? I've heard people being able to use their Amex with plastiq to send money, but i'm not sure about sending cash to their account. Is this an option?

|  
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Plastiq to pay rent to landlord's bank with Amex?

Cannot be done.. once again ill post a chart where a simple search on the forum would yield same results, but regardless hopefully this helps.

Message 2 of 12
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Cannot be done.. once again ill post a chart where a simple search on the forum would yield same results, but regardless hopefully this helps.

Residential rent including to banks, is checked green. Which is why i asked.

|  
Message 3 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

could of sworn it didn't, but regardless you have the chart now to reference and make your decision based on it as it is accurate.  best of luck

Message 4 of 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

I just attempted this to pay for a studio I'm renting in the Bay Area and it gave me an error stating American Express cards cannot be used for this transaction. Went to Visa and it stated that it may be counted as a cash advance transaction.

I just gave up on the whole thing and used PayPal.

Message 5 of 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

This!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 6 of 12
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

This!

Seriously! They wanted the guy I rent the studio from to verify his banking info, which was easy enough.. THEN they wanted a copy of the lease.. which I had to dig though prior tax documents for. Scanned that in, and then it tells me I can't use Amex, and I'll trip the cash advance fee on Visa. I was only going to try it as they gave me a credit for $50 in fees, so it would've netted me some nice MR or UR points.

Not worth the headache, so I just paid as I normally do though paypal and my checking.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using Amex to pay my rent for almost a year, so I believe OP can do this.

The cause of not being able to do so was, in my case, the Recipient Category of my landlord was incorrect because when I was adding him as a recipient, the category dropdown list was not supported in Safari browser so I was not able to choose the correct one. The category of the recipient was wrong and it's NOT in the Amex supported categories, and that's why I could not use my Amex card to pay for the rent.

Then I contacted Plastiq, they asked me to upload the lease. After verifying it, they changed the category and I was able to make payment right away. 

Message 8 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

I'm interested in applying for the Amex platinum in the next 4-6 months. I want to make sure i hit the minimum spend for the SUB, and being able to pay rent would make it much easier to hit spend. Currently my landlord takes payment via me transfering cash directly from my BofA account to her BofA account.

Can i use plastiq to do this? I've heard people being able to use their Amex with plastiq to send money, but i'm not sure about sending cash to their account. Is this an option?

You can use Plastiq to send money via ACH transfer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 12
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@MyFault wrote:

You can use Plastiq to send money via ACH transfer.

Perfect. Do you know if it gets coded as cash advance for Amex if you do this?

I guess i could just create a Plastiq account and play around with it, in the meantime.

|  
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.