Did you mean: 

Platinum to Quicksilver

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Platinum to Quicksilver

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm new here and love this forum so hello

In February  I got approved for a 300$ Capital one unsecured platinum card with a credit score of 588, 3 month later I hit the CLI button and got an extra 100$, today I called cap one and ask for an upgrade and I got the quicksilver card(not quicksilver one) the customer rep also said next month I'll get another 350$ CLI after my 5 statement cuts.

My question is why did they get upgraded to a quicksilver card so fast because my credit score is only 605 right now.I do have three collections for a few hundred dollars each  but also a car loan and a 4000$ personal loan in good standing.

As the Captain, I officially welcome you aboard our credit party cruise!  

Congrats on getting the quicksilver!  Being I used the Fertilization(tm) method after a bankruptcy, I skipped straight to the QS1/QS, but either way Cap1 was the foundation of my current credit journey, and they have done right by me!  They seem to be doing right by you, and I enjoy reading about square trading.

I'd like to steer things in a bit more of an adventurous/expansive direction than others have taken you.  Back in the day when I applied(a brisk October in 2015 lol), you didnt need to wait 6 months to re app.  I got a QS1 and QS, i think within a week or so.  Nowadays, in modern times, you need to wait 6 months with Capital One before applying for another card.  I'm not an expert enough to know if that applies to after a product change, but I think being they banned you already prior to your product change, 6 months might be a decent time to wait anyhow.  

What am I getting at, you may ask?  Well, Cap1 had been great for building credit profiles.  If you do right by them over the next 6 months, it might be to you advantage to apply for a "true" QS.  There are multiple reasons:  First, you'd exapand your credit limit.  2nd, you'd move in the right direction toward the ideal number of cards.  3rd, what BBS was talking about.  Your new QS would be uncapped(no pun intended lol).  

An ex-gf once gave me some of the best advice I can ever remember...not to give unsolicited advice.  I'm kind of bordering on that here, so what I will do is instead say what *I* would do, and try to get your mind at least fertile to the idea, so that you can then decide on your own at a later time.  Being there is plenty of anecdotal evidence your current QS will remain capped(no pun intended) at its previous status level, it wouldnt hurt to get a straight QS, and then 6 months later combine the converted QS into the straight QS.  You'll have a higher limit card, and one that is definitely uncapped, which can not be said with certainty for your current one.  The combination process is EASY, and is done online without any human interaction.

Again, youve read the banter about your QS being capped, so I decided to offer you a detailed plan of what I'd do.  I did combine my QS1 into my QS to get rid of the AF on the former, and get the higher "prybar" SL that supposedly helps you get higher SLs when other CC's you are apping for see your high limit.  Others may suggest you wait longer or possibly even ignore this.  Myself, I did my second card within a week, as previously noted, back before they banned such behavior.  I'm offering this path for your consideration, as well as for others to critique.  Once again, congrats on the product change.  Solid move!!

Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@A1Credit wrote:

Now that I have an AMEX, I'm going to pay off my capital one bill once the statement cuts and pretty much let it sit.  I will utilize my AMEX card although I don't have a $3000 CL, I do get rewards.  I'll just spend and make payments throughout the month and pray for a CLI after my 61 days.

What was your Amex SL?  As I'm sure you're aware, at 61+ days you can request a 3X CLI.  Depending on your starting point, that could be be significant CLI potential.

Message 22 of 34
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

Now that I have an AMEX, I'm going to pay off my capital one bill once the statement cuts and pretty much let it sit.  I will utilize my AMEX card although I don't have a $3000 CL, I do get rewards.  I'll just spend and make payments throughout the month and pray for a CLI after my 61 days.

What was your Amex SL?  As I'm sure you're aware, at 61+ days you can request a 3X CLI.  Depending on your starting point, that could be be significant CLI potential.

It was only a $1000 buuuuuuuttt, I was just happy to get in.  So far I have used it twice and it was such a great feeling. Smiley Happy It's so pretty to me.  I plan to ask for the 3X CLI, so $3000. Every CSR I chat with online always remind me of this before we end the chat.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In February  I got approved for a 300$ Capital one unsecured platinum card with a credit score of 588, 3 month later I hit the CLI button and got an extra 100$, today I called cap one and ask for an upgrade and I got the quicksilver card(not quicksilver one) the customer rep also said next month I'll get another 350$ CLI after my 5 statement cuts.

My question is why did they get upgraded to a quicksilver card so fast because my credit score is only 605 right now.I do have three collections for a few hundred dollars each  but also a car loan and a 4000$ personal loan in good standing.

Congrats on getting the quicksilver!  Being I used the Fertilization(tm) method after a bankruptcy, I skipped straight to the QS1/QS, but either way Cap1 was the foundation of my current credit journey, and they have done right by me!  They seem to be doing right by you, and I enjoy reading about square trading.

I'd like to steer things in a bit more of an adventurous/expansive direction than others have taken you.  Back in the day when I applied(a brisk October in 2015 lol), you didnt need to wait 6 months to re app.  I got a QS1 and QS, i think within a week or so.  Nowadays, in modern times, you need to wait 6 months with Capital One before applying for another card.  I'm not an expert enough to know if that applies to after a product change, but I think being they banned you already prior to your product change, 6 months might be a decent time to wait anyhow.  

What am I getting at, you may ask?  Well, Cap1 had been great for building credit profiles.  If you do right by them over the next 6 months, it might be to you advantage to apply for a "true" QS.  There are multiple reasons:  First, you'd exapand your credit limit.  2nd, you'd move in the right direction toward the ideal number of cards.  3rd, what BBS was talking about.  Your new QS would be uncapped(no pun intended lol).  

An ex-gf once gave me some of the best advice I can ever remember...not to give unsolicited advice.  I'm kind of bordering on that here, so what I will do is instead say what *I* would do, and try to get your mind at least fertile to the idea, so that you can then decide on your own at a later time.  Being there is plenty of anecdotal evidence your current QS will remain capped(no pun intended) at its previous status level, it wouldnt hurt to get a straight QS, and then 6 months later combine the converted QS into the straight QS.  You'll have a higher limit card, and one that is definitely uncapped, which can not be said with certainty for your current one.  The combination process is EASY, and is done online without any human interaction.

Again, youve read the banter about your QS being capped, so I decided to offer you a detailed plan of what I'd do.  I did combine my QS1 into my QS to get rid of the AF on the former, and get the higher "prybar" SL that supposedly helps you get higher SLs when other CC's you are apping for see your high limit.  Others may suggest you wait longer or possibly even ignore this.  Myself, I did my second card within a week, as previously noted, back before they banned such behavior.  I'm offering this path for your consideration, as well as for others to critique.  Once again, congrats on the product change.  Solid move!!

I do have the regular quicksilver card and I'm surprised I got That one, I had to call cap one and asked them if they gave me the qs1 or the regular.

so do you know what the credit cap would be on my upgraded card or is there a way to find out at all?

and I'm getting my credit step increase in a few weeks my first official I was wondering how long to wait to request a new one?

Message 24 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@A1Credit wrote:

It was only a $1000 buuuuuuuttt, I was just happy to get in.  So far I have used it twice and it was such a great feeling. Smiley Happy It's so pretty to me.  I plan to ask for the 3X CLI, so $3000. Every CSR I chat with online always remind me of this before we end the chat.

Yeah and remember if you get it to $3k, 180 days later you can take it to $9k which is getting very close to Big Boy Limits.

Message 25 of 34
A1Credit
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@A1Credit wrote:

Yeah and remember if you get it to $3k, 180 days later you can take it to $9k which is getting very close to Big Boy Limits.

Stop it! You're getting me so excited at the mere thought! Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do have the regular quicksilver card and I'm surprised I got That one, I had to call cap one and asked them if they gave me the qs1 or the regular.

so do you know what the credit cap would be on my upgraded card or is there a way to find out at all?

and I'm getting my credit step increase in a few weeks my first official I was wondering how long to wait to request a new one?

I'm not sure if anything is official on these caps, but there does seem to be a lot of anecdotal evidence to support them.  So I'm not sure what amount the cap would be, but I imagine one could get an idea after a lot of reading on here.  

It now takes a minimum of 6 months to sign up for a new Cap One card after your last one.  I dont know if a product change, which you did, counts toward that or not.  If nobody on here answers about that, it would be a simple answer for a customer service rep(which a question about CLI caps might not be).  You may wish to check the prequalification page:  https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_ONE_V01.aspx

Message 27 of 34
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Hi 

I noticed that it looks like you have 4 cards from cap 1. Are they all open right now (if you don't mind me asking). I am curious because I keep reading that you can only have 2 cards with them not counting cobranded cards.  Are you showing past and present cards? Also can you have two qs cards? I have a qs and would like to have another one. Thanks. 

Message 28 of 34
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Wow! I didn't know that either. I also started with the platinum card but  instead of an increase in five months,  I went from $300-$500  in three months then three months later went from $500 to $3000.  I asked for an upgrade to qs three months after that. So am I at my limit with that card? I asked for a venture card last month and was turned down I wonder if I can ask for another qs? I'm not going to ask for anything until the end of the year though. Thanks for your help. 

Message 29 of 34
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ulyssesmama wrote:

Hi 

I noticed that it looks like you have 4 cards from cap 1. Are they all open right now (if you don't mind me asking). I am curious because I keep reading that you can only have 2 cards with them not counting cobranded cards.  Are you showing past and present cards? Also can you have two qs cards? I have a qs and would like to have another one. Thanks. 

The number of accounts you can have is higher on Capital One's upper-level cards... it's either four or five.  Having multiples of the same product isn't a problem; I have two Quicksilvers (an old MasterCard and a Visa Signature) and a Venture WEMC as well. 

I believe the limit of 'two' you're referring to is for their entry-level and/or secured cards... someone can correct me if I'm mistaken on this.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.