Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing my cards right.

tag
williamd1972
Contributor

Playing my cards right.

I have both a Target-Visa/7500-CL and Macy's/1750-CL.  It's been 2 years since I had a CLI on either card       .  Which card should ask for the CLI for first? 
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Established Contributor

Re: Playing my cards right.

@williamd1972 wrote:
.  Which card should ask for the CLI for first? 

Maybe neither. It all depends upon the rest of your credit history and scores. If you have no derogs and good credit scores, I would ask for a CLI on the Visa, as long as you don't currently cary a balance, and you have used at least 50% of the current credit limit in the past.

Message 2 of 5
williamd1972
Contributor

TU 710 EX750, EX 699(late mortgage payments from 2002, aged off, but bucketed 8 points on 3/6 ) I have never used more than 20 % of my Visa CL 

Message 3 of 5
Established Contributor

@williamd1972 wrote:

I have never used more than 20 % of my Visa CL 

It might be hard to justify a need for an increase. I suppose it would be worth a call to ask for an increase to $10,000. Perhaps you might ask for an increase on the other card first. If you have used more than 20% of the CL on that card in the past I would give it a shot.

Frankly I would obtain a card from a bank like Chase or Bank of,America instead of asking for CLIs on a Target card. I would wait for your Experian score to recover a little though. Maybe it is time to be thinking about a Credit Union ? 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend applying with Alliant Credit Union with your scores and history UNLESS you are carrying balances above 20%, especially if you have a strong EQ score (that is the only CR they pull).

You may very well get an instant preapproved offer online when setting up a Share (Savings) account.  I would diversify here, not keep all your credit eggs in one basket.

Message Edited by txjohn on 03-27-2009 07:14 AM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.