Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing the CLI game...Request a $1,000k CL and compromise for $500k

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Playing the CLI game...Request a $1,000k CL and compromise for $500k

I just got my Discover card and was given a measly $1,000.00 CL. So, I called up and did the unthinkable. That's right, I asked Discover for a CLI without having used the card, or even having received it (I didn't tell them that). Anyways, I requested $2,000.00 because I didn't want to get too greedy, and they gave me a $350.00 CLI.

Is it all a game? I assume they think I was trying to do a BT when I asked for $2,000.00 (I wasn't, I always PIF), and instead of giving me what I wanted, they still gave me an increase, but not enough to let me do a BT.

That got me thinking... If I asked for $10,000.00, would they have given me $5,000.00? Is there any harm in asking for too high of a CL? Which companies will offer compromise and which companise will flat out deny CLI requests that are too high.

Should I just request a ONE MILLION DOLLAR CLI and see what I get?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Playing the CLI game...Request a $1,000k CL and compromise for $500k

Congrats on the CLI! Normally Discover is pretty staunch about no CLI until 6 months, so you should consider that CLI a gift.

As stern as they are on CLs and CLIs, I don't think they would have gone any higher.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any word on if you ask for a higher limit, they compromise for a higher limit? Not just for Discover, but for any card.

For example, if I had an AmEx, Visa or Mastercard. Let's say I have an AmEx with a $1,000.00 CL and after 6 months I ask for a $2,000.00 CL and they give me $1,500.00. Would asking for $10,000.00 get me the same $1,500.00 CL or would they compromise for more since I asked for more?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaybird201 wrote:
Any word on if you ask for a higher limit, they compromise for a higher limit? Not just for Discover, but for any card.

For example, if I had an AmEx, Visa or Mastercard. Let's say I have an AmEx with a $1,000.00 CL and after 6 months I ask for a $2,000.00 CL and they give me $1,500.00. Would asking for $10,000.00 get me the same $1,500.00 CL or would they compromise for more since I asked for more?

You'll get the lower amount of what you ask for and what you are approved for.

So, if you ask for $2K and only get $1.5K, you were obviously only approved for $1.5K.  Asking for $10K wouldn't change that.  You'd still only get the $1.5K you were approved for.

Amex doesn't counteroffer at all, BTW.  If you ask too high, you're denied.

Message 4 of 8
smoothjk
Contributor

They certainly won't go too high all at once. I think usually it's capped at 3x at a time, max, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you asked for a $1 million CLI, they would laugh in your face and hang up the phone =) If it's a game, it's chess, not checkers.
FICO (06/17/08): TU 691 - EQ 642 - EX 638 - Util 64%
FICO (07/23/08): TU 698 - EQ 653 - EX 644 - Util 50%
FICO (02/04/09): TU 694 - EQ 668 - EX 654 - Util 43%
FICO (05/18/09): TU 687 - EQ 675 - EX n/a - Util 39%
FICO (03/09/10): TU 666 - EQ: 691 - EX 644 - Util 54%
IDGuard (2/8/12): TU 690 - EQ: 710 - EX 710 - Util 72%
FICO (03/13/12): EQ: 696 (87% revolving to limits)
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

smoothjk wrote:
They certainly won't go too high all at once. I think usually it's capped at 3x at a time, max, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you asked for a $1 million CLI, they would laugh in your face and hang up the phone =) If it's a game, it's chess, not checkers.

For Amex, yes, it is capped at 3x the current CL.  That does not mean everyone will be approved for that amount, though.  That just means that's the maximum anyone will be approved for.

Also, Amex doesn't counteroffer at all, as I mentioned above.  So if you request more than 3x your current CL, they won't offer you whatever you would have otherwise qualified for, they'll just tell you, "Thanks for playing.  Better luck next time."

Message 6 of 8
chivo
New Contributor

what??...you are asking for a one illion dollar credit line increase??..are you nuts?..LOL what do you need one million dollars for?..LOL wow!!..(faints)LOL chivo
Message 7 of 8
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@chivo wrote:
what??...you are asking for a one illion dollar credit line increase??..are you nuts?..LOL what do you need one million dollars for?..LOL wow!!..(faints)LOL chivo

If someone were to seriously need a $1,000,000 CL, I think it would be easier to just get one of the Amex charge cards. That just about might be the only you can run a million through any card. I don't know if any CCs go that high, except maybe for special applicants, like celebrities or Donald Trump.
Here we go again...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.