cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please assist in choosing my next card (and when)

tag
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Please assist in choosing my next card (and when)

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to post on these forums and share their personal experiences.  I've been a lurker for a long time and gained an unbelievable amount of knowledge reading through these posts.  When I first started reading, my FICO's were in the high 500's, low 600's.  Thanks to you and a heck of alot of work and planning on my end, I just saw a "7" as the beginning number in Jan 2014.  That feeling was beyond words.  

A brief history before the question-->  I filed BK in 2004 and it automatically fell off of EQ and EX the past few months and I recently had TU delete it.  Further, I had 9 other derogs (CA's) removed on TU through dispute and I'm in the works on 8 from EQ (5 already gone) and 4 from EX (1 of 4 already gone).  I have promises to remove and even letters from CA that they have been sent to CRA's for removal.  I disputed TU first.  After the positive outcome, I disputed EQ and EX 3 weeks later.  My TU FICO score per my Discover IT statement went from 649 to 702 overnight and I'm at 59% utilization right now across three cards (plan to pay down to exactly 5% within three weeks).  The only derog left will be a $541 paid tax lien from 2003 that was paid in 2008 and it will be on EX only (I had no idea it was even out there and paid it the second I knew about it).  With such a large jump with just the derogs removed, I anticipate TU and EQ to be 720'ish range (perfectly clean) and who knows about EX after I hit 5% util across the board... My AAoA on EQ and EX are far greater than TU (AAoA on TU is 37 months per CK).  I would guess 60+ months on EX and EQ since I have two old, closed accounts with a perfect payment history for 81 months each that were closed in 2007.  All three reports show 100% on time payments.  I have two installment accounts (student loan and car) and three revolving (CapOne, CapOne and Discover IT).  HP's on the three bureaus are as follows (7 on TU, last 10/2013; 7 on EQ, last 2/19/2013 and 4 on EX, last on 2/19/2013).  My latest tradelines are a new car (through Chase Auto) in July 2013 and my most recent card was Discover Jan 2013.  I was denied a Citi in 2/2013 and Barclay's NFL card in 10/2013. 

Now that I have given you some specifics, I would appreciate your input on what card(s) I should aim for next.  My first card was opened in 2010 and it was a credit building Orchard Bank card.  After CapOne bought HSBC's Orchard accounts, the card was changed to a CapOne Platinum MC.  Then it was upgraded to a CapOne QuicksilverOne.  It went from a $330 limit to $500.  My second card was a CapOne Plat MC with a $1k limit and their credit steps program bumped it to $1,500 and they also 'upgraded' it to a QuicksilverOne.  It was opened 7/2012.  My third and final card is a Discover IT card opened 1/2013 and started at $1K and went to $1,500 just two weeks ago.  My total revolving available combined is $3,500.  

Given the above, what card would you go for next and what are my chances?  I really want an AMEX Blue Cash Everyday and three others that sound good to me as an amateur are the US Bank Cash + Visa (I bank with US Bank), BofA Americard Rewards and the Duck Card.  My goal for a new card is larger limits, no annual fee and I would really like one where the perks gives me cash back on gas and groceries. Lastly, does the credit profile above fall into a "thin" category?  Just curious.

..... or the everlasting question, should I stay in the..... garden? Smiley Wink

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help.  

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please assist in choosing my next card (and when)

Don't app for the Amex until your EX and EQ are in great shape.

Gas and groceries? Do you spend at Amazon? Honestly, with your TU being good as you say, I would app for the Sallie Mae. It gives 5% back on 250 in gas and groceries each month and 750 at Amazon.

Staying in the garden is never a bad idea, however you want to grow. When you feel like your credit reports are in good enough shape (that is no derogs, no lates, and the BK is off) you are good to go to app.

You may need to recon at the beginning but once you've gotten them you're golden! Smiley Happy GL! Please keep us updated.
Message 2 of 10
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

Thanks KennyS2006.  TU is already pristine (well, minus the 50+% util) and EQ will be pristine by Feb 11th.  All positive payments, nothing negative at all.  I would guess 720+ range.  The old, paid tax lien will remain on EX until July 2015.  The only surefire way to steer clear from EX that I know of is Barclay (seems to pull TU) and the Duck Card (seems to mostly only pull EQ).  I could wait, too.  I'm in no hurry but that first "real" card is going to feel incredible.  

Edited to correct spelling.  

Message 3 of 10
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@axledobe wrote:

Thanks KennyS2006.  TU is already pristine (well, minus the 50+% util) and EQ will be pristine by Feb 11th.  All positive payments, nothing negative at all.  I would guess 720+ range.  The old, paid tax lien will remain on EX until July 2015.  The only surefire way to steer clear from EX that I know of is Barclay (seems to pull TU) and the Duck Card (seems to mostly only pull EQ).  I could wait, too.  I'm in no hurry but that first "real" card is going to feel incredible.  

I bet!! Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Barclays and US Bank pull TU for me. Barclays has been more generous in my case as well but I'm an app-addict. Have you tried US Bank pre qualifier?
Message 5 of 10
sr383
Regular Contributor

I'd say both Discover it and Quicksilver are REAL cards. Both offer good rewards with no AF.
Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 6 of 10
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

BJ335is - I did try it and it said "your offers"... it didn't say anything about "you're prequalified for".... I'm not sure about the verbiage.  US Bank did spit out their Platinum Visa as the top "offer".  I think after I pay my util down a bit and the score gets higher, it may offer better.  

Then again, come to think of it, I didn't see a SP on any of the three bureaus and I tried the US Bank card selector like 4 times to see if it would.  I did opt out a while back but opted back in about 2.5 weeks ago.  

Message 7 of 10
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

SR383- I agree on the Discover IT card.  I have some pretty nice redemptions to show for.  It's by far my best card and in my experience, Discover's customer service is second to none.  Both CapOne cards are Quicksilver "Ones".... the MC, not the Visa.  Both have low limits, $39 annual fees and aren't much to write home about.  In my opinion, it's their best "starter" reward card.  I can't see the limits going higher than $2K and that's probably only after a 10 year history with them.  haha

Message 8 of 10
Chris679
Established Contributor

For me personally, Bank of America has always pulled TU and Citi has always pulled EQ . I don't have great things to say about BoA but Citi has always been great to me. Thank You Preferred is a pretty solid card but not really better than Discover unless you eat out a lot. Gardening is never bad but if you have to wait a year any way you might as well pick up a new card now.
Message 9 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Axledobe, try googling credit pulls and that should help you figure out who to expect what from. Certainly not set in stone, but a helpful resource.

Discover is ok if you're ok with rotating categories. They pull EQ for me. Mine rarely sees use. Consider looking at the Sallie Mae card as well (NOT the u promise card) it offers similar cash back that US Bank cash+ does. If you have no recent apps or new accounts, Barclays and US Bank should be able to approve you assuming they pull TU. Barclays also has a pre qualifier.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.