Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please critique my line up and strategy

tag
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

Please critique my line up and strategy

Hi Guys,

I think my strategy is pretty solid, I like to keep it simple and dont like transferring points. Only thing I was thinking on doing it was maybe getting the US Bank Cash Plus for Rest/F.Food

Monthly CC Spending

Groceries - $300

Gas - $150

Dining - $700

Everything else - $1500

Current Strategy

Amex BCP - Groceries / Gas (GC) - 6%

Barcley Arrival Plus - Dining / Everything - 2%

Extra Info

I fly around 2-3 times yr, not loyal to any airline, always get the cheapest ticket.

CARDS - Amex BCP, Arrival Plus, CSP, Cap One QS

Thanks!

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: Please critique my line up and strategy

The strategy of holding onto a card that you don't use but that costs you an annual fee (the CSP) isn't a good one.

Message 2 of 12
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@yfan wrote:

The strategy of holding onto a card that you don't use but that costs you an annual fee (the CSP) isn't a good one.

That's true, I will close it before the next AF though.

Amex SimplyCash 50K

Message 3 of 12
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

PC it to Chase Saphire card, no AF, most of the benefits. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 12
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

Your spend pattern seems pretty ideal for a SallieMae card. It can save you the hassle of having to deal with the AF on the BCP. I did the math, based on your gas+groceries spend you might make $3 dollars per year on that BCP compared to a single SM card. But also throw in any potential Amazon purchases (5% wit SM) then you come out well ahead. Might be something worth looking into.

Message 5 of 12
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@xerostatus wrote:

Your spend pattern seems pretty ideal for a SallieMae card. It can save you the hassle of having to deal with the AF on the BCP. I did the math, based on your gas+groceries spend you might make $3 dollars per year on that BCP compared to a single SM card. But also throw in any potential Amazon purchases (5% wit SM) then you come out well ahead. Might be something worth looking into.

Maybe I'm missining something but SM is 5% on the first $250 per month, I'm getting 6% on $450 per month with the BCP.

Amex SimplyCash 50K

Message 6 of 12
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

@xerostatus wrote:

Maybe I'm missining something but SM is 5% on the first $250 per month, I'm getting 6% on $450 per month with the BCP.

With SM you get 5% for gas/groc/bookstores up to a spend of 250/250/750.

With your gas and groceries spend you would average a return of 4.4%.  With the BCP your average return is 4.6% after the annual fee.  However, that does not count any fees you are paying to buy gift cards for the gas.  It is pretty much a wash either way assuming the gift cards do not have any extra fees.  Total CB after AF is $249 vs $246.

You might come out ahead if you were to downgrade the BCP to a BCE and use it for the $50 each month in groceries not covered by the SM.    Especially, if you buy stuff from amazon.

On the other hand, if you buy stuff at department stores, the BCP may be a better deal.

If possible, I would PC the CSP to the Freedom

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is similar to this, however I do ton of amazon purchases (little to big stuff) and none of us can forget about utilities... that's where my downfall is. That's where I'm losing valuable cashback.

Message 8 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine is similar to this, however I do ton of amazon purchases (little to big stuff) and none of us can forget about utilities... that's where my downfall is. That's where I'm losing valuable cashback.

You can go for double cash back or fidelity amex to get 2% on everything that has no categorized spending. That's pretty much your only option  I can think of. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 12
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Even if you don't cancel the CSP or PC it, you can use it very effectively with your current line up so that it at least pays for the annual fee. Considering you spend $700 a month on dining and fast food, that's 16,800 US points a year. That's $168 in statements credits if you decide you want cash back. But I understand why you would use your Arrival+ the most. Just informing you on how you can make your CSP an effective tool.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.