cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please give some data points..credit limit/income..

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Please give some data points..credit limit/income..

@ToxikPH wrote:
Credit limits are on my cards below. I'm honestly curious about total limit vs income; like can I get 100k in credit but only have like 30k in income?

That question was answered upthread directly or indirectly by seeing what others have posted.

The answer is yes, but it depends on many factors.  Having total credit lines of two to three times (or more) of annual income is quite possible.  But you'd need to also have the other variables line up for you such as credit scores, credit age, spending and payment history, and many other factors.   For more information, read my posting at message #37 in this thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Please-give-some-data-points-credit-limit-income/m-p/5...

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 51 of 62
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

It’s not the only factor but I think it is one of the factors, as well as banking ties with the issuing bank. I don’t think a bank has an easy way to verify an applicant’s income and level of assets unless you have a relationship with it.  

Message 52 of 62
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Hi here is my story, about 20 years ago I went blind with short period of time and went bad for over 200K on loans and credit cards with several banks. I didnot go bk. Today I have credit scores in 800 hundreds and total credit line of 165K on income around 80K. All the charge off and all late payments drop off credit reports. no public records showing on all 3 cr's. I an 64 years old. for example back in 2616 I open a Discover card after I got an invite to apply for discover card with starting cl of 9K. I put 30K spend on the card in the first year, after 6 months of having card the cl went 11.5K. I always pay card off before account reports. I started to ask Discover for cli's and every time got increases of 4 to 5K and last two times got only 1K increases my total cl is 28K and for two years don't put more then 200 dollars spend on the card. Most of cards I don't let report balance. The last card I just got last week was US bank visa plus card with starting cl of 14.5K. That same weekend I also got an cl increase of 3K to 18K on my BoA account. here is list of credit cards I have and cl's .

Discover card, 28K, BOA mastercard 18K, US bank visa 14.5K, TD bank visa cash card 14K, Citi mastercard 13.6K, Wells fargo amex card 10.5, Apple GS mastercard 10K, Cap one quick silver 4.7K Cap one bis visa card 2K, Merric bank visa 3150 , blispay 2K another card 1.5K, Walmart mc 15K, jcp store card 8K, Barclay uber visa 12K. Ring mastercard 8K. If you keep your  utilization under 10 percent and make bunch of charges on card for couple of months before asking for an increase and paying off card before it reports and some times letting it report then I gotton increases on all my cards, some times I need to do recon, if you speak nive to the cecon reps I been able to get the increse I wanted. To me it is game, no way I could spend my credit limits. I want to see if over next couple of years if I can get total credit lines over quarter of Mil.

Message 53 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

> means greater than, not equal to. You can speculate how much greater than 250k each number is, but I told you amex requires > 350k spend for the Centurion...

FWIW I don’t have any assets with a bank I have a credit card with.
Message 54 of 62
firefox100
Valued Contributor

You are not corredt you can get an Amex Ceturion charge card with income over 100K. The card is not credit card it is charge card that means it must be paid off with 25 days from time you get the bill. There is no credit limit on the card. They let you charge base on your income and assest. Each charge is look at by computer. If you go over what Amex thinks you can spend then they ask store to have customer to call Amex, when you call Amex will ask you do you have enough assets to cover the charge then Amex will check with your bank to see if you have enough on deposit or ask if they can check with stock broker. Back in  90's I was in Europe and had been spending lot of money and tryed to put 15K charge on my Amex card, I was ask at time of charge to call Amex tole free and I gave amex a call. They ask couple of questions and they gave my bank in Mew york call while I was on phone and my bank ask for ok to give Amex the info they need. Amex said have clerk go head and put charge through again, clerk went head and put tthe charge through again it was approve. That is how a charge card works.

Message 55 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received the following on $44,800 before tax salary. 

Capital One Secured: $500 (builder card)

NFCU Amex: $1,000

Discover: $1,750

PayPal MC: $2,000

Message 56 of 62
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
> means greater than, not equal to. You can speculate how much greater than 250k each number is, but I told you amex requires > 350k spend for the Centurion...
FWIW I don’t have any assets with a bank I have a credit card with.

I understand greater than signs, so my mistake that I assumed the numbers were relevant to the posting.  If you rounded each one similarly as would be logically implied, it would be natural to assume we're tallking about (roughly) 100% of income gets spent.  Otherwise, why mention numbers at all because it doesn't help clarify, only to confuse the issue?  Regardless, it sounds like you agree that high spend is key since it sounds like you have huge six-figure spending (whether it is from income or reimbursed business expense) and don't have assets with a lender. 

Business Cards

Message 57 of 62
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received the following on $44,800 before tax salary. 

Capital One Secured: $500 (builder card)

NFCU Amex: $1,000

Discover: $1,750

PayPal MC: $2,000

Looks like you're only sitting at 12% of salary in credit lines.  Depending on other debts from student loans, mortgages, car loans, etc, it looks like you have plenty of room to either grow those limits or apply for other cards that suit your needs if you choose to do so.  Unless you're otherwise strapped on your Debt to Income Ratio, you're in great shape.   

Business Cards

Message 58 of 62
sjt
Senior Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

Honestly with most lenders, income isn’t a huge factor. It plays a role of course, but responsible (and frequent) use is probably the most important determining factor. There are people who make 150k and then get new cards with only 4k limits. And then there’s the other side—I just saw an approval thread today where someone got almost 70% of his income as an SL. Lenders look at waaaay more than just what you make. 

For new credit applications, I do believe income plays a role in determining your SL. For those making $150K and getting a $4K SL, it could be they have a weak credit profile and their utilization and/or debt to income ratio is high.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 59 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

Viva-LV Wow, impressive!! TCL>6X income! How long was the major growth period?
Message 60 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.