cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get old card removed from credit history?

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Possible to get old card removed from credit history?

Six months ago I opened an account with Amex by getting the Zync.  About a month into it, I found that my spending justified the AF of the PRG.  Since I could not PC from the Zync, I simply closed the account and opened a new account for the PRG.

My question is, is it possible to remove the Zync from my credit history?  The account is in good standing and I didn't miss a payment, but it is dragging down my AAOA.

Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditSnob

Re: Possible to get old card removed from credit history?

Nope
Message 2 of 14
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@CreditSnob wrote:
Nope

+1  .... The TL is part of your credit history and can not be removed !!

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 3 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Six months ago I opened an account with Amex by getting the Zync.  About a month into it, I found that my spending justified the AF of the PRG.  Since I could not PC from the Zync, I simply closed the account and opened a new account for the PRG.

My question is, is it possible to remove the Zync from my credit history?  The account is in good standing and I didn't miss a payment, but it is dragging down my AAOA.

At least for FICO, AAoA includes open and closed accounts: both calculated from the date they were opened.

So in this case AAoA isn't effected at all by the account, over time it'll actually help as a buffer against new applications as well.  The only real downside is the shortness of the tradeline on the report, but realistically with the second Amex opened right after, it should be very easy to explain away if questions do come up.  I wouldn't make a habit of doing such things though, but it isn't likely to be an issue in this case Smiley Happy.

        
Message 4 of 14
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

At least for FICO, AAoA includes open and closed accounts: both calculated from the date they were opened.

So in this case AAoA isn't effected at all by the account, over time it'll actually help as a buffer against new applications as well.  The only real downside is the shortness of the tradeline on the report, but realistically with the second Amex opened right after, it should be very easy to explain away if questions do come up.  I wouldn't make a habit of doing such things though, but it isn't likely to be an issue in this case Smiley Happy.

Good to know.  I actually closed the account before the first month was up, so it doesn't show any payment history whatsoever.  Just that it was opened in August and closed in September (of course with "Paid as Agreed").  Does the same still apply?

Message 5 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Good to know.  I actually closed the account before the first month was up, so it doesn't show any payment history whatsoever.  Just that it was opened in August and closed in September (of course with "Paid as Agreed").  Does the same still apply?

AFAIK yes; the date opened on the tradeline is the only thing that matters; at least for AAoA payment history (good, bad, or non-existant) doesn't factor is my understanding of it.  There may be some other issue in the FICO algorithm where it matters (wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find there are penalties for uber short tradelines), but it's not in AAoA at least.  

I didn't expect that but it was pretty conclusively proven via a simple spreadsheet.

        
Message 6 of 14
Dustink
Valued Contributor

The only one who can remove it is AMEX and good luck getting somebody competent enough to understand what you want. You could try the executive office.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 7 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Not sure why you're saying that.  I think the OP's point is that he now has two accounts with very little age on his CR, so it is affecting his AAoA, it's dragging it down.  If it were to be removed, his AAoA would go up. 

But +1 to everything else.  You're not likely to get this removed.  And in time, it will be helping AAoA.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Not sure why you're saying that.  I think the OP's point is that he now has two accounts with very little age on his CR, so it is affecting his AAoA, it's dragging it down.  If it were to be removed, his AAoA would go up. 

But +1 to everything else.  You're not likely to get this removed.  And in time, it will be helping AAoA.

Oh bleh, I definitely need some more caffeinne or a nap.

Yes today it is affecting AAoA the same as any new account; what I was trying to get at is that a closed account ages at the same rate an open one does from an AAoA perspective.

Mea culpa, been looking at a computer screen too long and my mind is going fuzzy and pear-shaped.  Thank you Walt for keeping me honest.

        
Message 9 of 14
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

The only one who can remove it is AMEX and good luck getting somebody competent enough to understand what you want. You could try the executive office.

Good to know that they can remove it.  I'm not expecting much, but I'll give them a call and give it a shot.

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help.  Smiley Happy  I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: Just got off the phone with Amex customer service.  I called the number on the back of the card and explained my issue to rep.  He wasn't sure about how to handle my request, so put me on hold for a minute while he "researched".  When he came back, he told me that the credit bureau department would be the one most likely to be able to get this done.  He gave me their number and their hours.  All in all it was a good customer service experience, and I have hope that I can get this accomplished with a call tomorrow.  I'm now slightly optimistic that they can remove it for me.  Would be interesting to see the effect on my score.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.