cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to join NFCU? (Deceased Father honorably discharged from Navy)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible to join NFCU? (Deceased Father honorably discharged from Navy)

I'm looking  to get my first credit card, and I was recommended to apply for a NFCU card. Am I eligible if my Dad was honorably discharged from the Navy, and I don't think he was ever a member of NFCU? Would it be illegal for me to request an access number using my Dad's info? and then use it to apply?

I know I could call and ask, but I want to wait till I am removed as an AU from one my Mom's cards with 100% CL on it.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible to join NFCU? (Deceased Father honorably discharged from Navy)

He retire from the Navy or do 4-6-8 years then ETS out?

I would call them and ask.  They WANT to accept you and they will try.  They tried to get me under some clause, but it just couldn't be.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

He was inducted in Oct. 1965 and honarably disharged from the Navy in July 1966 for Seizures unfortunately. I think he was embarrased so he never really spoke about any of this.

Message 3 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I remember them asking me if I was medically discharged, which may be a way in for you. 

Then again, they may have required him to be a member first.

Message 4 of 13
cableguy123
Regular Contributor

He would had needed to retired from the navy drawing a retirement check. They wont accept you if he just was honorably discharged hope this helps!
Message 5 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@cableguy123 wrote:
He would had needed to retired from the navy drawing a retirement check. They wont accept you if he just was honorably discharged hope this helps!

I dont get how NFCU works. If he was in the Navy, thats exactly what it is, he served his country. Period.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@cableguy123 wrote:

I dont get how NFCU works. If he was in the Navy, thats exactly what it is, he served his country. Period.

You're right, but they don't just take "Prior Service Members" only those actively in full-time or p/t, retired, or friends/family, etc...

Crazy, I know, but I respect it. I wish USAA went back to that.

Message 7 of 13
cableguy123
Regular Contributor

Only way i was able to join was my grandpa was in the army for 20+ but if i was the op i would call them its free!
Message 8 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@cableguy123 wrote:

You're right, but they don't just take "Prior Service Members" only those actively in full-time or p/t, retired, or friends/family, etc...

Eh.....so what you did in the past meaning nothing?? Thats just wrong.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@cableguy123 wrote:

Eh.....so what you did in the past meaning nothing?? Thats just wrong.

Essentially, yes.  But I got into USAA when I was Active-Army, when they had the same requirements as NFCU now.  Now USAA is just a regular bank, for all intensive purposes.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.