Possibly cancelling Amex gold

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Possibly cancelling Amex gold

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

If you are cancelling the Gold card after the 30 day window when the annual fee posts then you should receive a prorated refund

Not sure if it is still happening in actual practice, but as of a couple of years ago Amex actually changed their policy on this.  Up to 30 days after hitting the statement it will be completely refunded if the card is closed, but there is no more prorating if closing within the cardholder year.  (Prorating on upgrades and downgrades is still ongoing, however.)

YMMV but if you specifically ask customer service about getting a prorated AF back you have a better chance to get one. Might be one of those HUCA situations if someone is inclined. I have no clue if this is perhaps coronavirus related but had a friend get portion of AF back for his Platinum card that way late last year

Message 11 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I cancelled mine some months ago, due to not be able to use the two separate small dining credits effectivey in each month, and no clear plan to travel/hotel due to pandemic. Its 250$ AF could not get justified here.

Afterward, I got CSP, which provided one year DoorDash for free. I occasionally use it for food delivery and in contrary to UberEat, does not require 2$ driver fee. The AF is waived in the first year. It has also 10$/month GoPuff credit for 2 years (anyway, till now I could not get Gopuff credits from Chase, because in West coast, Gopuff purchases coded as Bevmo!!!).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 12 of 35
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I cancelled mine some months ago, due to not be able to use the two separate small dining credits effectivey in each month, and no clear plan to travel/hotel due to pandemic. Its 250$ AF could not get justified here.

Afterward, I got CSP, which provided one year DoorDash for free. I occasionally use it for food delivery and in contrary to UberEat, does not require 2$ driver fee. The AF is waived in the first year. It has also 10$/month GoPuff credit for 2 years (anyway, till now I could not get Gopuff credits from Chase, because in West coast, Gopuff purchases coded as Bevmo!!!).

there's 2 small dining credits? what???

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 13 of 35
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@4sallypat wrote:

You should do a chat with them online - the retention team may be able to offer you MR points to keep the card for another year.

I did just that with the Plat card right after my AF posted and got offered 60,000 MR points for $3K spend.  

Basically the points to me paid for the AF as I use the points for travel.

unfortunately if they gave him a preset limit 99% chance he's not getting a retention offer (ask me how I know lol)

Cap1 VX $50k
Message 14 of 35
Jojo567
Valued Member

You might want to ask uber or Amex about uber 1 before I was upgraded I got an email saying it was a complimentary membership through my ex card

Message 15 of 35
jcooks
Established Contributor

I just chatted with Amex.  The CR stated that the Uber Eats Pass membership waived for the first year is only a one time offer and wasn't supposed to renew after the 1st year.

Message 16 of 35
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@micvite wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

In addition to the "use it or lose it" $10 a month Uber Credit there is also a $10 a month dining credit for dining at one of 4 or 5 set restaurants with the Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris being two of them. I don't remember the others because I only use these two. Both of these have to be signed up for though on your Gold card.

Message 17 of 35
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

@micvite wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

In addition to the "use it or lose it" $10 a month Uber Credit there is also a $10 a month dining credit for dining at one of 4 or 5 set restaurants with the Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris being two of them. I don't remember the others because I only use these two. Both of these have to be signed up for though on your Gold card.

Ohhh I see the uber credit as an uber credit not a dining credit haha. But yeah I rarely use the one at the few restaurants they got lol...

Cap1 VX $50k
Message 18 of 35
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

You may consider 10$ Uber credit as UberEat. This is the reason that I called two small separate dining credits per month. Use them or lose them. The two credits cannot get combined. You have to place one order via UberEat and one via e.g. Grubhub.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 19 of 35
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yeah my two credits I will use either for Uber Eats or Uber (along with the credit from Amex Platinum) and Grubhub or Shake Shack.  If I use Uber Eats or Grubhub I will typically order takeout rather than delivery.  That's an easy $240 of the $250 annual fee for me.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.