Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibly cancelling Amex gold

tag
jcooks
Established Contributor

Re: Possibly cancelling Amex gold

You can Uber to Shake Shack and knock out both at the same time...now that's what I call winning

Message 21 of 35
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

You can Uber to Shake Shack and knock out both at the same time...now that's what I call winning

I've taken an Uber to get takeout before. It was about $10 each way, $20 RT. I was visiting family and didn't have a car of my own, the restaurant didn't deliver, and everyone wanted to get food from there.

I waited in the restaurant for the food for maybe 30 minutes. When I went back, I actually got the same driver for my return trip. He thought it was hilarious.

I was buying something like $200 of food so the economics weren't too crazy and walking would have been impractical with heavy paper bags vulnerable to breaking.

But for a $15 or $20 order, I'd just pay the delivery fee!

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 35
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

You're cracking me up, @jcooks!  LMAO Smiley LOL 

Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that!  

laughing_emotio.gif

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 23 of 35
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

I've been waiting to cancel my amex gold, but they offered me a loyalty bonus of 20k points for $3k spend in 3 mos. I'll pay $50 for the random benefits I get from the card from time to time.

Message 24 of 35
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

OP, if you can't get a pro-rated refund, then you might want to make the best use of the upcoming year by mending your fences with Amex, whatever the reason was they hit you with a limit on the account. If you can do that, it might be easier in the future to get back in with more choices. 

Message 25 of 35
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Slowlyrebuilding wrote:

So I am considering getting rid of my Gold card. Reasons 1) they got rid of a few of the perks that let me justify the annual fee (Uber eats pass, airline reimbursement etc) 2) they put a hard limit on it 

I just realized the perks were gone after the annual fee hit. They put the hard limit on about 2 weeks after the annual fee.

so my question is if I cancel it, will I get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee?

Just in case you consider trying for a retention offer, when I reached out to AMEX (chat) about cancelling the card, after a little back and forth, they offered me 15K MR points with $2K spend in 3-months, so I decided to hold it for another year. I am sure you could get the same if you wanted to.

Potential Future Cards
Message 26 of 35
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

I've been waiting to cancel my amex gold, but they offered me a loyalty bonus of 20k points for $3k spend in 3 mos. I'll pay $50 for the random benefits I get from the card from time to time.

they offered me 15K MR points with $2K spend in 3-months

Potential Future Cards
Message 27 of 35
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

they offered me 15K MR points with $2K spend in 3-months

Congratulations on the retention bonus!

Message 28 of 35
Slowlyrebuilding
Contributor

@W261w261  I could live with the hard limit. I'm not one who uses it for thousands a month. I'm just annoyed as I've had the card (and 2 other Amex) for a long time, I've never been late or any issues and my credit file is better now than when I initially got the card. So unfortunately I don't even know what fences need to be mended

Message 29 of 35
Slowlyrebuilding
Contributor

@Wavester64  Maybe I'll try. I assume since they put the hard limit I may not be a customer they're trying to retain...

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.