Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post-Garden Planning - Research and Tips Wanted

tag
joesbrat67
Contributor

Post-Garden Planning - Research and Tips Wanted

I'm looking to see how many of us in the forums who make a plan to ease out of the "gardening" phase this year have a process for establishing new cards:

1. Do you proactively research the "right" cards to add, and if so, how much time do you tend to allocate?
  2. Are the card choices:
    • (A) Based on the latest "must-have" cards 
    • (B) increasing overall CL and lowering util %
    • (C) Adding cards that allow for more rewards/bonus opportunities
    • (C) SD cards that have either larger APRs and are not being utilized enough, or
    • (D) Made on more of a whim

I have 2 cards that are coming off the 24-month ticker this year (one next month, the other in October), with the most recent card as of last June (Amex BCP).  I've already selected the 2 cards that I will be adding, with the possibility of PC'ing another card in August.  The new cards will cover goals B, C and D.  From there, I suspect that I will be gardening again for a while.  At least until late Fall 2018 or early 2019.

I suspect that approvals will be granted, based on (1) high FICO scores (2) low util %...or at least it will be closer to 5% by the time I apply in May. (3) at least one card opening from 2015 dropping off my report.

I welcome any and all feedback.  Thanks!

Active Cards:

Sock Drawer Cards:

Cards in consideration for 2019:

FICO Scores as of 04/24/2019:

Peak FICO Scores - Prior 90 Days:

1 REPLY 1
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Post-Garden Planning - Research and Tips Wanted

Those are all reasons people choose their cards, among others.  For me, I am wanting to establish a good relationship with NFCU.  I've transferred my direct deposit, opened a CLOC and refinanced my car.  I will exit the garden next Spring and plan to apply for a cc then.  I think having a good relationship with your bank can be equally as important as the other perks of the cards.  I'm sure there are others who can add to the list of how/why people choose the cards that they do.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.