Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Approval "to the family".

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Pre Approval "to the family".

This is the first I've heard of this.

I currently live with my mom and dad, and today I got a letter from Chase stating I'm invited to apply for the Chase Disney Credit Card.

Thing is...the mailing address did not have anyone's first name on it, it just said "To the XXXXX Family".

Anyone else heard of this? 

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Pre Approval "to the family".

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

This is the first I've heard of this.

I currently live with my mom and dad, and today I got a letter from Chase stating I'm invited to apply for the Chase Disney Credit Card.

Thing is...the mailing address did not have anyone's first name on it, it just said "To the XXXXX Family".

Anyone else heard of this? 

That's no pre-approval, it's just an invitation to apply.  Marketing material, nothing more.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 13
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Yup, Marketing. Just like any other thing sent to "The Smith" family. It is an invitation to apply, buy something, chance to with the Publisher's Clearing House Millions, etc lol. I wouldn't look at it as a firm offer for credit for any one in your household. Though I am sure they are hoping that SOMEONE in the house that they send it to will apply.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 13
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Odd marketing, it looked just like a pre-approval, it had an invitation number and offer code just like a pre-approval letter.

Just applied and was turned down, called recon, no luck.

Back to the garden it is.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Odd marketing, it looked just like a pre-approval, it had an invitation number and offer code just like a pre-approval letter.

While even the best preapprovals will contain weasel words (of the form that this is not a guarantee that credit will be extended) if this letter really said "invited to apply" that should have been a big clue (along with the fact that no individual was identified). that this was pure marketing with no offer behind it.  In other words, don't be impressed by invitation codes etc, see what is really being said, look at all the small print (and then throw it away!)

Message 5 of 13
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Not quite back to the garden.

Why are you "gardening" what are you hoping for? What can you commit to? What will make you leave the garden? What has changed since the last few denials you received? Are you willing to try and deal with the issues that are causing the denials or are you going to keep applying and hoping that something sticks?

I badly want you to get good unsecured credit but can you handle it? You went over your limit on the Duck card. Can you prevent that from happening again? Can you pay that off quickly so it stops hurting your credit? Maxed cards hurt, closed maxed cards hurt even more- Yes, I know it isn't your fault entirely that they closed your account along with hundreds of others... but they did. You look like a huge risk to any one that extends credit. You have baddies, recent baddies. You have a LOT of apps, you have small limits probably close to or already maxed out. What are you doing to improve your credit profile, what are you willing to do? This may sound the very opposite of supportive but it's about time you faced facts. Your score is bad, your credit profile is bad, your inquires are terrible. You need to stop applying for cards before you get yourself in a hole that will take you YEARS to get out of. You can not afford new credit, your job is part time, and you want to move. You have as much credit as you can currently handle, so handle it responsibly and don't blow the chances you were already given.

Deal with your baddies, pay off your current accounts. Get your ducks in a row and STOP apping for AT LEAST a year. You have so many apps and inquires now that i don't think that 6 months will be enough cool down for you to be desirable to other lenders.

Please, make me eat my words in 6 months once you get things under control... but stop apping. You are 22, plenty young enough to get your stuff in order and make your credit profile sparkle in time. I and many others would love to be where you are. Young with so much potential to start over and do things right. Please do that. Stop looking for easy ways out and around things.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 6 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@notfancy wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Why are you "gardening" what are you hoping for? What can you commit to? What will make you leave the garden? What has changed since the last few denials you received? Are you willing to try and deal with the issues that are causing the denials or are you going to keep applying and hoping that something sticks?

I badly want you to get good unsecured credit but can you handle it? You went over your limit on the Duck card. Can you prevent that from happening again? Can you pay that off quickly so it stops hurting your credit? Maxed cards hurt, closed maxed cards hurt even more- Yes, I know it isn't your fault entirely that they closed your account along with hundreds of others... but they did. You look like a huge risk to any one that extends credit. You have baddies, recent baddies. You have a LOT of apps, you have small limits probably close to or already maxed out. What are you doing to improve your credit profile, what are you willing to do? This may sound the very opposite of supportive but it's about time you faced facts. Your score is bad, your credit profile is bad, your inquires are terrible. You need to stop applying for cards before you get yourself in a hole that will take you YEARS to get out of. You can not afford new credit, your job is part time, and you want to move. You have as much credit as you can currently handle, so handle it responsibly and don't blow the chances you were already given.

Deal with your baddies, pay off your current accounts. Get your ducks in a row and STOP apping for AT LEAST a year. You have so many apps and inquires now that i don't think that 6 months will be enough cool down for you to be desirable to other lenders.

Please, make me eat my words in 6 months once you get things under control... but stop apping. You are 22, plenty young enough to get your stuff in order and make your credit profile sparkle in time. I and many others would love to be where you are. Young with so much potential to start over and do things right. Please do that. Stop looking for easy ways out and around things.

+1

Message 7 of 13
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

+1

+2

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 13
Pupeitmeister
Valued Contributor

Wow. Harsh fancy.

I have to agree. Sometimes the brutality of honesty is hard to swallow. Learn what you can while you can, and make her eat thosevwords in 6 months
OFFICIAL GARDEN START DATE: 10-05-2014... TARGET GARDEN END DATE: 06-01-2016 Lets Git 'r' dun
Message 9 of 13
killer_queen229
Established Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

I know this is from a few weeks ago, but I AGREE. I know it's hard to not apply when you want something (and this is coming from me so I understand how hard it is). I understand you want these cards that other people have.. but the people that have these cards have proven to be trusted lenders. I'm not saying you aren't.. but it just seems like you're applying for whatever card at this point to see who will give you a card. And if you keep applying for more and more cards at this point, you will either get denied or more $500 or so limit cards and you don't want that. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.