Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approved Offers Flowing Again

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Pre-Approved Offers Flowing Again

Today was the moment I've been waiting a long time for... getting pre-approved/pre-screened offers in the mail.  Sounds crazy, I know, but I've actually kind of missed it.  Since filing Chapter 7 in May 2002, I can recall only a few pre-screened/pre-approved offers-- all from Capital One (one for an unsecured credit card and a couple for auto loans -- I already had an auto loan with Capital One at this point).  They were all over 7 years ago.

The Chapter 7 fell off the credit reports last month.  I opened the mailbox today and had a pre-approved offer for a Barclay Rewards Card, and a pre-screened offer for a Citi/American Airlines card.  I am not in the market for a new card right now so I shredded both, but I did notice that the Barclay card promoted itself as being a way to rebuild my credit.  With FICO's over 800, I think I've already accomplished that.

I think getting these in the mail brought closure to the whole BK situation.  I have rebuilt my credit and am financially stronger than ever.  I know that, and my FICO score shows my achievements, but getting pre-approved offers gives me some mental satisfaction that the tables have turned:  I'm not the one interested in the credit card companies;  they are the ones interested in me!

It's all in my head, I know.  Just one of those things.  Thought I'd share it.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre-Approved Offers Flowing Again

I can't wait till my mailbox starts flowing again. My shredder's been feeling neglected lately!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear you, I actually opted back in after getting approved for cards that are considered prime.  It will be nice to laugh at some of the offers that will surely come my way.  Plus you never know, I may get something from a card I actually want Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 18
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

I've pretty much got all I want and need, but if a good rewards card comes along to supplement my AMEX BCP, I may just bite.

I've entertained a Discover or another of the rotating category cards to beef up the cash back a bit.  My partner and I share an AMEX (he's an AU on my BCP) and use the cash back to fund "mini vacations" every few months.

Message 4 of 18
cmnbachiller

Hello!  I am slowly, but surely getting my score up again.  But I would like to ask how you went from 693 to over 800 in less than 1 year.  Any tips are greatly appreciated!  At one point I paid down all my CC's to a zero balance (total limit of all 5 cards are $3450) but my score still came out to be around 652 at the highest.  I have student loans that will take forever to pay off and a car loan that has 1 more payment to go. But not sure how else to bring my score well over 700 if my CC's are all paid down.  Suggestions??  Thank you!

Message 5 of 18
Jlu
Established Contributor

To get your answer you may need to build a time machine, set the dial to 3 months in the past and BLAST OFF!

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 6 of 18
djrez4
Established Contributor

I opted out a few years ago because I was just getting junk sub-prime offers that I didn't want.

Now that I'm back in prime-land, I think it would feel pretty good to get a targeted offer.

Message 7 of 18
babablue
New Contributor

lol. He's in the 800 club now, he no longer has need for us peasants Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: MyCreditKeeper - EX:613 EQ:597 TU:640; PSECU EX:629; Walmart TU:631
Current Score: MyFico - EX:666 EQ:675 TU:658 (9/19/13) ; PSECU EX:711 (12/11/13); Walmart TU:696 (12/2/13)
Goal Score: 700+ across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 18
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

Today was the moment I've been waiting a long time for... getting pre-approved/pre-screened offers in the mail.  Sounds crazy, I know, but I've actually kind of missed it.  Since filing Chapter 7 in May 2002, I can recall only a few pre-screened/pre-approved offers-- all from Capital One (one for an unsecured credit card and a couple for auto loans -- I already had an auto loan with Capital One at this point).  They were all over 7 years ago.

The Chapter 7 fell off the credit reports last month.  I opened the mailbox today and had a pre-approved offer for a Barclay Rewards Card, and a pre-screened offer for a Citi/American Airlines card.  I am not in the market for a new card right now so I shredded both, but I did notice that the Barclay card promoted itself as being a way to rebuild my credit.  With FICO's over 800, I think I've already accomplished that.

I think getting these in the mail brought closure to the whole BK situation.  I have rebuilt my credit and am financially stronger than ever.  I know that, and my FICO score shows my achievements, but getting pre-approved offers gives me some mental satisfaction that the tables have turned:  I'm not the one interested in the credit card companies;  they are the ones interested in me!

It's all in my head, I know.  Just one of those things.  Thought I'd share it.

I myself am awaiting this point in time for myself...... bk7 in June of 2005...I got a pre approval from Merrick bank yesterday ,but longing for the day to get some REAL  prime offers....

congrats

Message 9 of 18
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@steve23111 wrote:

I've pretty much got all I want and need, but if a good rewards card comes along to supplement my AMEX BCP, I may just bite.

I've entertained a Discover or another of the rotating category cards to beef up the cash back a bit.  My partner and I share an AMEX (he's an AU on my BCP) and use the cash back to fund "mini vacations" every few months.

steve,

How long after your BK did u get your amex BCP????

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.