cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approved Ollo Optimum 2.5%. Tell me why I'm crazy for not wanting it.

tag
B_Slow1
New Contributor

Pre-Approved Ollo Optimum 2.5%. Tell me why I'm crazy for not wanting it.

Got a pre-approval mailer for the Ollo Optimum card, which I know is coveted by a good number of people.

But I don't think I'm going to get it.

I've been striving to get more than 2.5% return on my purchases by optimizing the cards I currently have. And I said in a recent thread that my current goal is to get approval for the CSP. I wanted to get the CSP before the current bonus vanishes, but two recent card approvals in the last 3 months have me hesitating. If I got THIS card as well, I'd never get the CSP.

So tell me why I'm crazy for not jumping on this and accepting the offer.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-Approved for Ollo Optimum (2.5%CB). Tell me why I'm crazy for not wanting it.

@B_Slow1 wrote:

Got a pre-approval mailer for the Ollo Optimum card, which I know is coveted by a good number of people.

But I don't think I'm going to get it.

I've been striving to get more than 2.5% return on my purchases by optimizing the cards I currently have. And I said in a recent thread that my current goal is to get approval for the CSP. I wanted to get the CSP before the current bonus vanishes, but two recent card approvals in the last 3 months have me hesitating. If I got THIS card as well, I'd never get the CSP.

So tell me why I'm crazy for not jumping on this and accepting the offer.

Well Ollo is known as a sub prime lender. If there is no AF I see no reason not to go for it. However, you need to pay attention to the interest rate and it may be best if you do not carry a balance on ths card since the rate may be really up there.

The sub prime banks are feeling the squeeze by prime banks that have revised what they are looking for to do approvals. It seems like many prime banks are cutting into the sub prime banks business so they have to re vamp what they are offering to try and compete.

Thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 9
B_Slow1
New Contributor

Re: Pre-Approved for Ollo Optimum (2.5%CB). Tell me why I'm crazy for not wanting it.

@Anonymous wrote:

Well Ollo is known as a sub prime lender. If there is no AF I see no reason not to go for it. However, you need to pay attention to the interest rate and it may be best if you do not carry a balance on ths card since the rate may be really up there.

The sub prime banks are feeling the squeeze by prime banks that have revised what they are looking for to do approvals. It seems like many prime banks are cutting into the sub prime banks business so they have to re vamp what they are offering to try and compete.

Thanks

Mark

I wasn't aware that Ollo was a sub-prime lender. If they target people that carry a balance or have less than stellar spending habits, I wonder why they don't open the card up to more people, instead of making it invite only. (Also, now I feel insulted that they think I'm a good fit... Smiley Sad ) Thanks for the info, Mark.

Message 3 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Considering you want to get the CSP as well the answer is easy on why you should get that card: the signup bonus of the Chase card

The amount of spend you have to put on the Ollo Optimum to get the same returns just from the SUB of the CSP alone is quite a lot ($40k) just simply from cashing out and not from taking advantage of the extra you get from travel redemptions or Pay Yourself Back which ends at the end of this year. This is assuming you have that much non-category spend to match it

Message 4 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Pre-Approved Ollo Optimum 2.5%. Tell me why I'm crazy for not wanting it.

Chase card being a prime card might give you better credit limits and grew with time. I am not sure if Ollo would grow and meet your needs in the future.

Message 5 of 9
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

While Ollo is typically a sub-prime lender, they are certainly not the kind of bank that takes part in predatory behavior and shouldn't be considered in the same class as say a Credit One or Fingerhut. 

In addition, their Optimum card is invitation only, so it certainly is NOT an insult that they invited you! The Optimum card was their first step to moving into the Prime lending space, hence why the CB rate is so high. It's easily one of the best cash back cards ever with no AF and 2.5% on everything. 

The CSP will always be there, but the invitation for the Optimum may not. 

[2/2019]
Message 6 of 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Another thing to consider.....there are other cards out there in that neighborhood. Alliant has a 2.5% non-category card and CU's tend to offer better benefits, limits, etc to members. Another CU, AOD also has the unicorn 3% card, which I can attest is outstanding. 

Chase is obviously your highest concern, so don't lose focus on that. Get the bonus while it's live. It looks like you're 3/24 (with a Chase card being one of the three).  By Chase's rules, you should be good to go in Nov. unless you are the play-it-safe type and want to wait 6 mths (Beginning of Feb)

I wouldn't waste the effort on Ollo.

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 7 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@jdbkiang wrote:

I disagree here. The CSP will always be there but the current signup bonus will not. I imagine some time soon (maybe the end of this year) the SUB will change back to the standard 60k which while isn't bad is not 100k. Just using the CSP's 1.25x bonus redeeming through the Chase travel portal a person is sacrificing $500 in value by not getting the current bonus. This doesn't even include any pooling of points the OP can do from their two business cards to make it even more profitable since the only biz card that does that is the Chase Ink Preferred

Plus, as @Taurus22 pointed out there are close equivalents available assuming a 2% card isn't enough. You have to have a LOT of non-categorized spend to make the difference worth it

Message 8 of 9
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

I disagree here. The CSP will always be there but the current signup bonus will not. I imagine some time soon (maybe the end of this year) the SUB will change back to the standard 60k which while isn't bad is not 100k. Just using the CSP's 1.25x bonus redeeming through the Chase travel portal a person is sacrificing $500 in value by not getting the current bonus. This doesn't even include any pooling of points the OP can do from their two business cards to make it even more profitable since the only biz card that does that is the Chase Ink Preferred

Plus, as @Taurus22 pointed out there are close equivalents available assuming a 2% card isn't enough. You have to have a LOT of non-categorized spend to make the difference worth it

It does largely come down to what OP's spend looks like as well as whether or not OP is going to be traveling enough to make it worth it. My guess is that even if the SUB drops, it won't go back to 60K, but more likely 70K or even the 80K that we'd seen earlier. For myself, I'd probably just do both, but OP may not be able to do so. 

[2/2019]
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.