Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Approved offer from Penfed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-Approved offer from Penfed?

LIke the title suggests I'm curious if they send out these types of offers, because i received one in the mail Saturday for the Penfed Power Cash, and it says "You have been Pre-Approved* to earn unlimited cash back on every purchase!  I wasn't sure because of the way it's worded and I could be mistaken, and it might just be an invitation to apply. The APR is 14.99% 

While I'vehad several mail offers from regular banks, I don't recall ever getting one from a CU. I also always assumed that i was out of their footprint, though via google search they do have a branch about 240 miles away in Eugene.

I'm honestly conflicted on whether I should go for it or not

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Pre-Approved offer from Penfed?

@Anonymous, PenFed Mailers have been very solid ..

I have read quite a few approvals from those.

I was approved through one last year.

Not trying to be a bad influence ... just DP's.

Message 2 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Also they pull EQ9  .. looks like EQ is your highest scoreSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 17
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

So I take it you're not a member yet?

And yeah I think that's actually a solid pre-approval with a set APR and NOT a range. Plus they're actually not geo-restricted or military only. They jusk for a donation on one of their chosen organizations and anyone can pretty much join and be a member.

ONLY thing though is they don't like "credit-seeking" behavior and egyptians pyramiding debts!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 4 of 17
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

I don't think they even ask for a donation anymore? .. I could be wrong!

Message 5 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

LIke the title suggests I'm curious if they send out these types of offers, because i received one in the mail Saturday for the Penfed Power Cash, and it says "You have been Pre-Approved* to earn unlimited cash back on every purchase!  I wasn't sure because of the way it's worded and I could be mistaken, and it might just be an invitation to apply. The APR is 14.99% 

While I'vehad several mail offers from regular banks, I don't recall ever getting one from a CU. I also always assumed that i was out of their footprint, though via google search they do have a branch about 240 miles away in Eugene.

Ive gotten 1 mailer from PF, Just 1 in 4 years , of course a week after another denial. I wouldnt worry about geography,  Penfed seems more inclined to offer credit to nonmembers than their actual memvers as of late.

Message 6 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Also they pull EQ9  .. looks like EQ is your highest scoreSmiley Happy

In my experience , this score really doesnt factor much into their decisions. Just look at all the 680 approvals lol. Heck i even achieved a 810 once and they could care less. My opinion of courseSmiley Wink

Message 7 of 17
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive gotten 1 mailer from PF, Just 1 in 4 years , of course a week after another denial. I wouldnt worry about geography,  Penfed seems more inclined to offer credit to nonmembers than their actual memvers as of late.

This.  I joined.  DH got an offer the other day.  I understand his credit is better, but still rude! Smiley Wink

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 8 of 17
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous, PenFed Mailers have been very solid ..

I have read quite a few approvals from those.

I was approved through one last year.

Not trying to be a bad influence ... just DP's.

(PenFed Mailers pre-approved mailer) <-- There's something I KNOW I will never get Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 17
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Bravo - perfectly said! Smiley Happy

Potential Future Cards
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.