cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-approval for Amex Plat disappears...is this normal?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
New Contributor

Pre-approval for Amex Plat disappears...is this normal?

So, my credit file is admittedly a bit thin (just now reaching one year), and Amex, after surprisingly approving me for an Everyday card with a CL of $5,000 back when my credit was only 4 months old with a FICO of 630, has shown me no love at all since then...

Nevertheless, from time to time, I do the "click on the apply button" for various cards while logged in to Amex trick, to see if I have any pre-approvals...so I was quite surprised and pleased, early in Feb., to find that I had been pre-approved for the Plat. My plan, however, was (and is) to apply for it in May, a time when my organic spending will lend itself to easily meeting the MSR, so I didn't apply.

So I was quite disappointed when, two days ago, I checked my pre-approval for the Plat again, and alas, it has disappeared. 

So, my question is, is this a normal thing? I can't figure out why the pre-approval disappeard so fast. Yes, my FICO dropped a bit in the last month due to a recent inquiry from Chase (I applied for and was approved for a business card), and my utilization spiked a bit last month (40%) when I had to wait until a few days after my statements posted  to pay off the balances on my personal cards (I'm usually meticulous about doing AZEO before the statements post, staying well under 10%).  Does that explain it? The only other thing I could think of is the fact that I went from $2k spend on my ED for Jan. to only $100 spend for Feb...could that be it?

I'm probably overthinking this; hopefully by the time I'm ready to apply for the Plat in early May, the pre-approval will have returned...but any relevant DPs from anyone with similar experiences would be appreciated.

EX (Fico 8): 741 TU (Vantage 3): 722 EQ (Vantage 3): 702
Amex Platinum; Amex Gold; Amex Green; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; Amex Delta Platinum $5,000; Amex Delta Business Gold $10,000; Bank of America Alaska Airlines card $3,200; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: Dec. 2019
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000; Adorama (Comenity) $1,250
Goals: EX 760 by mid-2020
Wanted cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ink Cash; Chase World of Hyatt; Schwab Plat; Barclay Aviator Red; Citi Prestige
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Pre-approval for Amex Plat disappears...is this normal?

A number of things could’ve caused it. For one though I read about people seeing preapprovals that disappear and later reappear. Could be as simple as that.

The other chance could be a cascade of the factors you mention - an inquiry, a subsequent effect on your score, plus an increase in UTI, could combine to invalidate your eligibility. You don’t mention it but factor in if your income is borderline for the type of spend “expected” on a Plat, and it could add up to be enough to make them rescind the offer.

I would say pay down your UTI and see if it reappears for starters. If not, some time to age the recent inquiry may help too.

Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | IT Cash | IT Chrome | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Firestone | Wayfair | Overstock | Kohl’s

5/24, 1/24, 76445/24, who cares #HappyWithAmex

Entering the garden 5/27/2019, staying until 2020
(Lol so much for that grand plan...)
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks. My income is high five figures, so that's probably not an issue. The spike in utilization was an anomaly, and will not happen again for the foreseeable future, so hopefully that will solve things in a few months.

Amex Platinum; Amex Gold; Amex Green; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; Amex Delta Platinum $5,000; Amex Delta Business Gold $10,000; Bank of America Alaska Airlines card $3,200; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Wanted cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ink Cash; Chase World of Hyatt; Schwab Plat; Barclay Aviator Red; Citi Prestige
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Established Contributor

The drop in usage on your ED card would not be a factor, if that were the case I wouldn't have half the cards I do.
The high UTI may have hit your report at the wrong time and Amex just happened to catch it, that would probably give them a reason to hold off on offering anything new to you for now.
Let things settle down and try again in a few days/weeks, I feel fairly certain the pre-app will be there again, your scores are certainly well within an acceptable range for that card.

~~ Former Royal Navy Submariner - Proud to have served ~~
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
Established Contributor

One way to find out if the offer is still a pre-approval, is by going through the Recommended Card's tab. From there you can click on "Apply" and it will either tell you that you are pre-approved or if you are thinking about expanding your relationship with AMEX. The latter is usually hit or miss, but most of the pre-approved prompts are solid. Best of luck OP

Fico Scores as of March 2019: TU:765 EQ: 775 EX: 755 Fico Goals: TU: 770+ by 12-2019 EQ: 770+ by 12-2019 (achieved) EX: 780+ by 12-2019
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Are you no longer pre-approved, or is it just not showing up in the list at all?

If it's just not showing up in the list, that happens from time to time with Amex. The other day someone posted about the BCP not being there. I've noticed the Cash Magnet and other cards disappearing and reappearing from the list of cards I am presented. I don't think anyone really knows why this happens. It just does.

If that's what happened, give it a bit and I am sure it will return.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks. Yes, it is showing up on the list, but when I hit the apply button it gives the dreaded "easy to expand your membership" line (whereas a few weeks ago, it was, "congratulations, you're pre-approved..."

I'm betting it was my utilization going up...hopefully it will be back when I'm actually ready to apply in May.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.