Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-approved, for a card I already have

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Pre-approved, for a card I already have

In today's mail I got two envelopes from Citibank: one pre-approval offer for the card I already have (and have had since 1987), and a balance transfer offer (which I will feed to the shredder).  Why don't they check their mailing lists for offers against their own list of current customers?

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-approved, for a card I already have

Don't you want your credit in "stereo?" 

lol - txjohn

Message 2 of 10
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

You may want to hang onto that BT offer, just in case it comes in handy in the future. Life is unpredictable. Example, just two days ago my GF got a new card with her bank, however they do not allow BT between accounts with the same bank and her new card had a 0% for the first 12 months on all BTs. I used my offer from my Virgin America card and moved her balance to it (no fee) and then she moved it to her new card with the 0% rate for 12 months. :-)
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 3 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't you want your credit in "stereo?" 

lol - txjohn

Not particularly, though I sorta wonder what would happen if I did apply: would somebody notice at some point or would they blindly create a second account for me?  The limit doesn't particularly matter, since I never come close to using up the limits I have now.

As for the BT: my wife and I don't have any balances to transfer beyond recent transactions, since we always pay in full every month.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 4 of 10
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

They would create a separate account, at that time you could ask them to combine the two into one Goliath card.

800+ Club
Message 5 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@ngerasimatos wrote:
They would create a separate account, at that time you could ask them to combine the two into one Goliath card.

If the limit on the new account is comparable to the limit on my existing CITI account, then combining would give me a limit over 50K, which I cannot imagine wanting or needing.

Message 6 of 10
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

I have seen it happen, its not that rare.

800+ Club
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi does this to me on a regular basis but the interest rate on the newer app is usually 9.99% versus my current 6.74%.

Discover on the other hand, did this to me with a new pre-approved offer for 10.99% versus my current 17.24%.

Message 8 of 10
jim5518
Established Member

I opened a Citi AAdvantage account. Next month I get another pre approval letter. I called and said I just opened this account, CSR says you can have more than 1. So I was approved again. Now I have 2 Diamond Preferred Rewards and 2 AAdvantage accounts.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Citi has done this with me as well, sending pre-approved offers for the same card I already have.   The only other issuers who've done this with me in the past have been Capital One and Wamu (I miss Wamu  Smiley Sad).

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.