cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-pay a year of internet and Netflix on Cash+?

tag
SBR249
Established Contributor

Re: Pre-pay a year of internet and Netflix on Cash+?

Amazon offers a lot of third party gift cards, so basically for any place where you know you'll consistently spend money and if Amazon offers a gift card, you can get 5% cashback. Around where I live, Giant and Safeway are big grocery chains and Amazon sells gift cards to both. So I've basically relegated my BCE to the SD for the 5% CB on groceries. 

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did anyone else get a recent offer?  My recent one goes from June 1 through the end of July.  It's an extra 20% cash back after $900 spent.  Heck I wonder if my cable service would allow me to pay ahead like that.    

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did anyone else get a recent offer?  My recent one goes from June 1 through the end of July.  It's an extra 20% cash back after $900 spent.  Heck I wonder if my cable service would allow me to pay ahead like that.    

Most companies will. It’s not at all uncommon for people to prepay their cable bills for their summer homes and such so they don’t have to worry about it later. 

Message 13 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For Verizon FIOS, I have paid 4 months in advance. For Netflix I have paid a year in advance. For our electrical and gas provider here in the city I have paid each of those in $650 chunks (there is a $2.25 charge per $650). To elaborate on the Netflix mention earlier, you can make a one-time payment of any amount or add a gift card of any amount, but the actual billing only happens once a month.

Had an interesting situation where we both got Delta Reserve cards with the then-record SUB back in October. Needed the 10,000 MQMs on each to hit after 1st of January to count toward 2020 status, so there was only a 1 week window to hit the $3,000 spend on each card. Utility prepayments helped make sure that happened.
Message 14 of 22
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dlister70 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

If you can swing the extra upfront cost, there's nothing wrong with prepaying, although I don't think of it as "leaving cash back on the table" because regardless, you'll get cash back when you pay your bill eventually. 

I think the OP is saying that they usually use the Fast Food category on Cash + and next quarter they don't need to.   So, if they spend most of the 2000 on fast food, they won't always get the cash back when they pay the bill...

I just discovered I have spend $2100 this quarter with one more mobile payment to go, so I messed up!

Yes, I guess I wasn't clear on that.  I will only have the cable/streaming as a category for next quarter, and then I will be switching back to fast food.  Although I don't spend $2000 per quarter on fast food (yikes!) I do spend more than the $50/month that my internet is, so it's usually a better category for me.

Remember you have 2 5% categories, so if you don't spend $2K a quarter some could be left for streaming

Message 15 of 22
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Comcast will let you pay as far ahead as you want to, I do it all the time to hit SUBs. 

I believe it was @Kforce who said that they prepaid each quarter to maximize their cash back from the Cash+  

This is good to know b/c it will help put me over the top next month meeting the SUB on my Chase INK.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Comcast will let you pay as far ahead as you want to, I do it all the time to hit SUBs. 

I believe it was @Kforce who said that they prepaid each quarter to maximize their cash back from the Cash+  

This is good to know b/c it will help put me over the top next month meeting the SUB on my Chase INK.

When I worked at Comcast, I had someone call and pay $3000 one time to cover their services at their second home for a year. I asked my supervisor if I could even take a payment that large and she had me process it and stick a permanent note that customer called to specifically pay for a year of service in advance in CSG. That was a bit more extreme example but yeah, Comcast won’t turn down getting to earn interest on your money. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 22
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

sometimes you can negotiate a 'deal' with the cable company ... if I prepay a year upfront.. will you discount the service by 10%

Message 18 of 22
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

This is all so helpful! Why didn’t I ever think of it? Especially if you’re stuck to a contract and have the money to pay it off anyway. Looks like I should be able to meet any future SUBS coming my way 😊

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thread with great replies to the OP. This is why I keep coming back to this forum. It's like I get paid to come here.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.