Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-qualified for a Barclay card???

tag
Daisy10
Valued Member

Pre-qualified for a Barclay card???

Hi. I'm new to the boards, but I had a question...I recently checked my creditsesame account and it said that I was pre-qualified for a barclay card.  Does anyone know if this means that I am pre approved? Does pre qualified mean the same as pre approved.  I am hesitant to apply for the card because I am trying very hard to rebuild my credit.  I am post bankruptcy, discharged in 9/2012.  I don't want to have a HP on my credit report if I don't have a chance to get the card.  My credit sesame score is 609 and my credit karma score is 618. Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Pre-qualified for a Barclay card???

Those are fako scores and might not coincide with your actual scores.  Credit Sesame is an advertising site so their so called recommendations are geared to intice you to apply so that they get money for supplying you as a lead.  I don't pay attention to any of those adds and nor should you.  All you're gonna wind up with is a HP and no credit card messing around with them.

Hang around here and pick up a few tips before you run out and apply for anything.  You will learn a lot.

Oh and Welcome to myFico!!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 7
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Prequalifying can mean basically that you are invited to apply for a card. It does not mean that they are giving you any sort of indication that you are going to be approved. I would recommend posting your credit picture online and asking people for advice. By this I mean find out what your fico scores are and what is on your credit reports and people can advise you as to which cards you might be eligible to apply for. Welcome to the boards. There is a wealth of information here to help you. All you need ot do is just ask.

Message 3 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Daisy10 wrote:

Hi. I'm new to the boards, but I had a question...I recently checked my creditsesame account and it said that I was pre-qualified for a barclay card.  Does anyone know if this means that I am pre approved? Does pre qualified mean the same as pre approved.  I am hesitant to apply for the card because I am trying very hard to rebuild my credit.  I am post bankruptcy, discharged in 9/2012.  I don't want to have a HP on my credit report if I don't have a chance to get the card.  My credit sesame score is 609 and my credit karma score is 618. Thanks for any input.

"Pre"  means before.   So pre-qualified and pre-approved both mean you are not yet qualified or approved.   It is mearly an invitation and does not mean you will be approved.    The inviation may be based on soft inquiry or not, so don't take it too seriously.     

Message 4 of 7
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Rhaeny wrote:

Those are fako scores and might not coincide with your actual scores.  Credit Sesame is an advertising site so their so called recommendations are geared to intice you to apply so that they get money for supplying you as a lead.  I don't pay attention to any of those adds and nor should you.  All you're gonna wind up with is a HP and no credit card messing around with them.

Hang around here and pick up a few tips before you run out and apply for anything.  You will learn a lot.

Oh and Welcome to myFico!!

+1

Same thing with Credit Karma. You'll notice that your "approval odds" will change dramatically, even when your CR or score haven't changed a bit. Read and search around the forum and you will find a lot of tips and advice that will boost up your score and will give you a greater chance on getting approved for the cards that you want.

Good luck and welcome!

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 5 of 7
Daisy10
Valued Member

Thank you so much.  I will definitely not apply then.  I really appreciate your advice and will continue to research these boards.  I have already learned so much already!

Message 6 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I suggest you look at secured cards.   That is one of your best options with a fresh BK.   Research the T&C, as some are good and others not. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.