Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre qualify accuracy at different issuers

tag
folks19
Frequent Contributor

Pre qualify accuracy at different issuers

I was checking with a few banks to see if i would be pre qualified. The results were suprising:

Amex would pre qualify me for some of their cards.

Capital One would not pre qualify me for anything (not even the secured card...!).

Credit One only pre qualified me for a card with a very high annual fee and very bad reviews.

HSBC did not pre qualify me for anything.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on here? why would Amex pre qualify me for most of their cards, but issuers like Cap1 and Credit1 (which are more appropriate for the subprime) wouldn't pre qualify me for any card (besids that 1 card from credit1 that has an annual fee higher than the credit limit... ok, not quite, but still pretty bad)? to make things worst, Capital One didn't even offer me a secured card? (I thought maybe they don't consider you for the secured card, but then i saw that in fact, they only consider you for the secured card, the platinum, and the quicksilver.)

I'm wandering now how accurate are pre qualifications from the different issures?

has anyone experienced the same?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre qualify accuracy at different issuers

Seriously what are your scores, util, etc?

Other than bofa most of the prequals are decent. 

Message 2 of 6
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your'e right... i should of added my scores.

anyway, my scores for all three CRA's are around 700. 6 HPs on EX, 4 on EQ and TU. I didn't burn any of the issuers in the past. No missed payments or other baddies in my lift time

Message 3 of 6
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Much to my surprise when I found out, AMEX is actually one of the easier to get cards out there. My wife got a Cash Magnet with a very thin file in your same score range. It is only a $2K starting limit, but that’s a great start with AMEX. Discover is another excellent first card. Have you checked their prequal?
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 4 of 6
folks19
Frequent Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
Much to my surprise when I found out, AMEX is actually one of the easier to get cards out there. My wife got a Cash Magnet with a very thin file in your same score range. It is only a $2K starting limit, but that’s a great start with AMEX. Discover is another excellent first card. Have you checked their prequal?

Wow! that's cool! I never would of thought that amex is an easy issuer to get approved for! I'm still surpriset, though, that i got pre qualified for amex but for the C1 secured card.

Do you kow anyone else who experienced easier approval with amex then C1 or other issuers?

I did check for pre quals with Discover and was not pre qualified for anything, but I then later found out that it is because i opened a Discover card in the past 12 months, so i will try again soon after 12 months pass.

Message 5 of 6
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.