cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prequalified For Amex Platinum - Denied - Called in and reason has me puzzled

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Prequalified For Amex Platinum - Denied - Called in and reason has me puzzled

The Centurion you're an AU on...is that a business or personal account? If business, and there are baddies on the account, then you maybe you might have a bad commercial credit history without realizing it?

Just a guess.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 16
One2spooku
Valued Member

Re: Prequalified For Amex Platinum - Denied - Called in and reason has me puzzled

They did the same thing to me. Prequalified "exclusive" offer.   The sign up bonus was higher than the base bonus. Seemed pretty legit as far as a pre qual goes. Applied and denied. App status wasn't available online at all. Phone calls lead to "wait for a letter"...   

Called to recon but the people I reach are nearly useless. 

Message 12 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

You might have some trouble getting through to them...

I tried all day yesterday (from around 8AM to the last attempt around midnight) and after I entered the last four of my SS# and my billing ZIP it told me the system that needed to be accessed was unavailable to both the customer service reps and the automated system and to call back later. 

I tried the recon line, the number on my initial "please call us" screen, and the number from the application status web page - three different numbers, but each rings to exactly the same system.  Smiley Frustrated

I plan to try again on Tuesday... good luck if you try to call them about your app!  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My only guess is that prequalifcations are based on soft pulls and of course when you apply they use a HP.  I wonder if they use a different score version than the SP??  Odd, I have always know AMEX to have solid prequals.  It is worth a phone call to recon.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you had a Plat before, you won't get a bonus, right? It's one and done, unless one of them is Ameriprise or Mercedes Benz I believe. 

GL. 

Message 15 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Been said many times before but never rely on prequals.  Don't let marketing determine what you apply for.  Evaluate your own reports and apply for products that suit oyur needs/wants.

@Anonymous wrote:

Obviously confused- i have checked across numerous browsers. So i called the automated system, the reason for my denial was given to me as "My COMMERCIAL credit score is too low". Does anyone know what this means? 

Pretty straightforward.  The score based on commerical reports considered is too low.  What business card did you have and what shape were they in?

What isn't straightforward is why your commercial score was considered if it was a personal card.  You'd have to contact AmEx to clarify.  It could be one of those addtional considerations for AmEx.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.