cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prestige 1.6 AA - Rebooking after weather cancellation?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Prestige 1.6 AA - Rebooking after weather cancellation?

I bought two tickets on a domestic AA flight, paying with TY points from Prestige (the 1.6 cpp method). The flight, originally scheduled for tomorrow, has been cancelled due to weather.

To rebook, do I contact Citi or AA? The reservation has my AAdvantage number, if that matters.

I'm not in an urgent rush to fly, so don't want to go down to the airport without concrete plans. In a mass email, AA said they would contact me with an update, but I've not heard from them for 8 hours. The email also says I can contact the travel agent who made the reservation to make changes to my plans.

Anything else to be aware of? My priorities are to minimize stress from this and avoid having to pay anything extra. I'm happy to wait a day or two to have AA find me a flight; I just want to be sure that I won't need to pay for new tickets if I don't contact AA or Citi ASAP.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
sunkissed
Established Contributor

Re: Prestige 1.6 AA - Rebooking after weather cancellation?

This happened to me in January. I booked a flight on AA using Thank you points and my flight was canceled due to weather. I called AA to be re-booked on a different flight. There was no change fee- no additional charges whatsoever.

Good luck and safe travels!

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 2 of 4
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

I just got off the phone with American Airlines and they had to change mine to do to the weather up north  with no change fees.  Instead of going to Chicago I had to go through Phoenix Arizona now  but I'm not complaining. 

Message 3 of 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll try out the delay insurance feature, too. I had a smooth experience with an extended warranty claim, and if Citi is good with travel insurance, too, I may keep Prestige another year.

I'll try to keep the cost of dinner tomorrow night "reasonable". Not sure what the guidelines are there. I may be relaxing 20 miles from the airport, but I don't see any benefit language saying they will only reimburse food from vendors in or near the common carrier's terminal (an airport in this case).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.